Judging competence

professor bob

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Hello everyone,

Today I posted a video that actually is not really any particular song but rather the competence (or incompetence) of my ability to play a guitar by playing the instrument on my own with out guidance of a teacher for about three years. I will point out that I did receive musical training when I was a boy and that training was a guide for me to know what I should try to do. However, I have gotten to a point where I know I need to polish this if it is ever going to be able to be presentable. Since I found Totally Guitars, I must admit that I enjoy seeing the efforts of others and by watching others I learn. Possibly some of you might see something you like, or a method you can try by watching this video, or possibly you can spot some major mistake you could help me with.

The main function of this hobby is to have fun, and since I do not have many mentors I share this with you. I hope you enjoy it.

perfessor Bob[video][/video]

BigBear

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:36 am

Hey Bob! I think your story is similar to so many of us. I'm not sure what song that was but it sounds pretty discordant, but that could be your amp settings.

Your playing is fine, probably at an advanced beginner level. So you are clearly competent. But your timing is off somewhat. There are lots of things you could work on like playhing a G chord with your middle, ring and pinky fingers versus the index, middle, ring you use. And you could benefit from a lighter touch. But these are all techniques and fine tuning that will acquire with time and practice.

I would highly recommend to you joining the TARGET program and going through the Acoustic Genious series even if an electric ax is your main weapon. It is much harder to play an acoustic so learning on an acoustic will only make playing an electric easier.

After all the time I spend practicing on my acoustics playing my Les Paul is a dream. I just have to remember to let the guitar and amp do the work.

You are a wise man posting a video for feedback. For most of us, the real joy of the guitar is getting better and playing harder and harder songs since we aren't professionals. Using the forum, videos and the TARGET program will be a huge help to allow you to progress very quickly.

Good luck and happy playin'!! :cheer:

AndyT

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:52 am

Bob,
That was really cool. If you haven't named it yet, I'd call it:
"A Study In Dissonance"
I like it.

I see that you could use some metronome work. Yes, that old enemy, the metronome. Make friends with it and it will make you much better! I tell people all the time that the difference between being good and being really good or even great is the metronome.
I would suggest you try and open up your left hand some. It looks like you're choking the neck. Relax and give your fingers some room to move.

Sounds good. Keep it up.

tovo

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:41 am

Hey Bob. While I listened I thought that Jim Morrison could probably do something pretty cool with what you were playing. Unfortunately that isn't possible. Listen to the Bear my man...he knows where it's at.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic