RicksPick learning to play More Than Words acoustic guitar

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:27 pm

MTW is really coming a long well Rick, nice going! I really like this authentic video showing just where you are on these two songs. Keep it going! And keep that hat on for the next 3 weeks! Come on England!! ;-)

Yamaha48

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 pm

Hey my friend Rick.

Nice to see,two songs in one video,and then the change from hat.
The hat is a hot item the last time hahhaahah lol.
More than words is a verry good song,you do a good try my friend.
Litle bit more working on this and it sounds much better.
Layla that song going a litle better.
Thanks fore sharing my friend,hope to see verry soon a nother try.

Warm greetz Anton

AcousticAl

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Hey there, Rick!

Nice work on both these songs!! Was really enjoying your picking/percussion in M.T.W. You can tell you've worked really hard at it and you've pretty much got the technique down.

I think you know this-- but now you need to leave the intro section alone for a bit and work on the parts that are really giving you trouble. That will let you play it at a constant speed without slowing down the different parts.

RicksPick

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks for the clap Bill
Tony thanks mate, My next hat should be outstanding
If I can borrow it?
Chris thanks sort of given up on getting a near perfect take and I think it is helping some what. Will be wearing the hat every match and then the final!!!!
Thanks Anton, Yep more practice needed.
Al too true, the rest is giving me problems, might take a while, thanks bud.

beaker

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:03 am

Rick, Your version of More than Words was excellent. You really have that percussive rhythm going. I was not familiar with that song until now and I think you made it sound good. Good job on Layla as well! One thing I noticed though, after the F#m you went to a B but in the song chart it says go to B7 there. Maybe you just prefer how it is with a straight B? Overall excellent songs, good for you for tackling difficult ones. Beaker.

dennisg

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:17 pm

Rick, just wanted you and everyone else to know that I'm not the least bit in touch with Tony's feminine side. Had to get that out of the way.

I know exactly one song by Extreme, and you just played it. I have to say that I loved watching how easily you moved through it. It just sounded beautiful. You'll nail the bridge with some more practice.

The mark of a good performance is when I come away wanting to learn the song, and that's exactly what happened after I saw you play More Than Words.

If you didn't play these songs as well as you normally do, it's totally forgivable. Not everyone can play in hats. Tony makes it look easy.

Craig

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Rick,
Good job with some difficult techniques (at least for me they are! :laugh: ) Keep up the great work,
Craig

wrench

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:23 pm

Hey RicksPick,

I really like your percussion work on MTW, and Layla makes a great medley with it. I would very much like to see a follow-up on these, and with the right hand fingers more visible to see the percussive technique. To aid with the quick change, may I suggest splicing the hats so as to facilitate a rapid rotation instead of a full on change. :laugh:

Thanks for posting.

Dan

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:47 pm

Rick, I agree that "More than Words" is worth learning, and you have progressed enough to be unrecognizable in relation to your first posts. I mean that you play better, not that you are more pretty or less pretty, but that is not my point.

By the way, at the time that the song was somewhat recent, I attended a summer festival in which "Extreme" played. Other artists included Steve Miller, Brian Adams, and I forget the others (wonder why).

The second band in the 12 hour festival was "Extreme", who proceeded to play "More than Words" and followed that up by the most irritating, metallic cookpot-slamming noise and screaming in the microphones, accompanied by inexplicably constant masturbatory gestures (sorry kids). I can only guess that what they were playing was their whole first album, which I forgot to run out and purchase.

Kudos on "Layla", glad to see you're doing fine.

Also, I suggest you add a feather (or two) to enhance your hat, you would then be a dead ringer for your avatar.

Pierre

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:10 am

Well played rick More Than Words is coming along nicely great technique with the percusive effect. Layla like Tony states intro over and over till its second nature. First hat real cool man, bit of the Rat pack there my friend, second hat sorry didnae like that one at a pal, in the words of Billie Connolly that'd earn yea a Glaswegian kiss if ye were to stroll doon the Gorbals yu know jaggy bunnet right on ra head Jimmy...

jk :laugh:

Good stuff Rick keep them coming

Chas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic