MarkM learning to play Mother Goose acoustic guitar

MarkM

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Hello All. Well another Tull song. To be honest when I first thought about trying to learn this I thought it would be extremely tough. It was hard, don't get me wrong, but it came along a bit faster than I thought. This is still a work in progress and full of mistakes. Trying to keep the steady beat for 3:30 minutes or so is harder than I thought. The intro lick (same as the middle and end) is a bit on the slow slide compared to the tempo of the song. Still trying to get that part up to speed. My apologies in advance for the singing. I did not sing and play at the same time. It's not very good and kind of out of tune but at least it may help you recognize the playing. The vocals also came out a bit loud in the mix. Anyway I hope you like it and please let me know if you have any suggestions or comments. There wasn't a lesson for this so I found some TAB on the internet and tried to follow along with the original as best that I could.

Oh and those other two projects are done as well Andy and Jay.

MarkM

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Lavallee

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:58 pm

Very nice Mark, you just start working on it and you can already sing. That quick descent is not easy to do , I cannot either. The version I use has a bit more picked note, if you are interested, not saying it is better than yours, just a bit different. You sure keep that tempo.

Great video Mark

Marc

Yamaha48

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Hello my friend MarkM.

Thanks fore share this nice video.
Sounds verry nice,you have a lot off work on this.
What is the reasen that you not sing and play at the same time?.
Singing and playing cant helps fore a good timing.
Let me know my friend.

Greetz Anton

BobR

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:15 pm

Hi Mark,

I actually have the Aqualung album and have played the song many times over the years and never knew the title until now. I thinks other than the vocals being a bit loud you did a really good job on this song. This time I went and listened before commenting. :laugh: O yeah, you need to learn to play the flute at the same time. :lol:

Bob

tovo

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi Mark,

As usual I'm so impressed by your playing. Even as a work in progress it is so good to watch. (and listen to of course!)

I agree strongly with Anton. I think if you persist, the singing can really help with timing. Of course it adds some complexity, but in my opinion you handle the playing so effortlessly (I know it ISN'T effortless but you sure make it look that way) that I think you can certainly step up and do the playing and singing together. I think you have a nice voice for this type of tune. yes I agree with you it was a little out of tune in places, but for lengthy periods of the recording it sounded really good. So when you get it together it will be great.

Thanks for the look, always enjoy your stuff.

haoli25

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Mark, no apologies needed. I thought the playing and the singing were great. Another of my favorite JT songs and I think you nailed it. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

haoli25

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:01 pm

Mark, no apologies needed. I thought the playing and the singing were great. Another of my favorite JT songs and I think you nailed it. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

buddy

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Mark,

It so cool to see you progressing so quickly, it is really motivating to all of us here. As others have said, you played this great and I really enjoyed the singing to. That seems like a really tough song to play and sing at the same time.

Bud

willem

Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 am

Mark,, i enjoyed your vid,,thanks

jayswett

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:23 am

This is a sensational song, and while a work in progress, your performance was solid. Every time I watch one of your videos, I think to myself that I need to get more comfortable with a pick.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic