MarkM learning to play Mother Goose acoustic guitar

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:35 am

I enjoyed that Mark, thanks! I think the whole song is already in great shape and your singing is pretty damn good. Ian Anderson is not easy to mimic by any means ... you won't hear me singing many of his songs, I don't think! So well done!

RicksPick

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:58 am

Mark

Been waiting to see this since you posted
Worth the wait
Well done dude

RicksPick

dekotaj

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:04 am

BRAVO!!Mark,

Once again a great song done very well.It must be nice to have such control of that little piece of plastic.Some day I'll be able to do that(I hope).Good work with the right hand.Thanks for the song.

Kevin

suziko

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:49 am

Nice job, Mark! Another Tull song I've always liked (so many good ones posted lately!) I really like that intro. You always do such a great job with picking out notes while strumming, something I REALLY struggle with.

Suzi

pbraun

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:56 am

Mark - another one! I don't know the song but it sounded really good. I guess I must have been asleep when Jethro Tull was king!
Great job, like those hammer ons!
Pete

snipe

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:18 am

Mark,

I thought you did a great job! That little lick you are talking about is a real challenge to get up to speed. I know, cause I spent a lot of time on it myself. The playing was solid and your guitar is a good match for the song. Just curious if you are working on any More Tull songs?

Thanks for sharing that!

Mike

Craig

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:24 pm

Mark,
Great job with a great song. Your strumming while picking out notes while hammering on is very impressive. Keep up the good work.
Craig

dennisg

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Mark,

Every time you post, I go on and on about the beauty of your strumming. It's on such vivid display here, because the song plays right into the things you excel at. The truth is that I could sit and listen to you play all day -- I like it that much.

Just a suggestion for the future: consider trying a fingerpicking song. I have no doubt that after you get a few songs under your belt, you'll be as comfortable with fingerpicking as you clearly are with flatpicking.

MarkM

Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Just got back from meetings in Boston. I'll get to all my responses in a little while.

MarkM

MarkM

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:12 am

Hello and thanks again all. Finally had some time to get back to the forum.

Marc - Thank you. Yes I'd be interested in seeing the different version that you have. I didn't see much variety when looking for TAB.

Anton - Thanks!! Well my brain doesn't seem to want to cooperate and let me sing a song like this. I'm doing all I can just to keep both hands moving. It's a goal of mine to some day play songs like these and be able to sing and play it at the same time.

Bob - Thanks. Can't help you with the flute. I rushed the singing and didn't check the volume levels. I have to do a better job of that next time. Maybe just skip the singing instead.

Tony - Thank you. I wish that I could sing and play it together. Maybe some day. I think it will be a bit longer on this song until I can play it in my sleep. I'm going to get another mic that I can record vocals at the same time and give it a shot then. Hopefully with some practice I can get better at it.

Bill - Thank you for the kind words!!!!

Bud - Thank you. Yeah this one has a few moving parts to it and its rather difficult to just hum along. At least for me anyway. Maybe someday I'll get there with the singing.

Willem - Thank you!!

Jay - Thank you. I feel the same way when I watch you fingerpick. My hand doesn't know what to do without the pick.

Chris - Thanks. I sound much better in my car!! I'll try and clean it up and get it updated in a few weeks.

RicksPick- Much appreciated!! I'm glad you liked it. It was fun to learn and play.

Kevin - Thank you!! I'd be lost without that piece of plastic. After my last video I made sure I got more of my right hand in the picture for you.

Suzi - Thanks! I can't fingerpick very well so I make sure that I can pick out those notes with the pick. When it works, which is seldom, it adds a nice texture to the song. Practice, practice and more practice. I'm still a bit slow on the intro but maybe after another 100 times or so I'll get there.

Pete - Thank you. I gravitate to the songs with hammerons as it's one of the few things that I can do fairly well. Now I just need to work on everything else. Go get the Aqualung album. Just about every song is fantastic.

Mike - Thanks!! Yes that lick is a challenge!! I must play that lick at least 50 times a day just to get my brain used to it. I'll get there eventually. As for other Tull songs I'm always open to them. I'm looking at a few but not sure which ones yet.

Craig - Thank you very much. Always good to get positive feedback.

Dennis - Thank you! Thank you!! The problem for my learning curve is that I tend to look at songs that lend themselves to what I'm more comfortable with. That's why I gravitate to these songs, and Neil Young so much. Also because I love the songs. As for fingerpicking I would do anything to get better at that. It's going to take me a tone of practice to get there as the style is so foriegn to me. I've been working on simple ones like Dust in the Wind and 4+20. Well maybe not simple but less complex. I spend about 20 minutes or so practicing them when I pick up the guitar. If I could fingerpick then there would be some many more great songs for me to choose from. Its definetly a big goal of mine.

Ok off to bed now. It's way past my bedtime.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic