BobR While My Guitar Gently Weeps guitar lesson review upload

dennisg

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:55 pm

My setup is completely different, so I'm afraid I have no simple solution for you. You might want to PM AcousticAl though. He's the direct-to-PC recording maven around here and manages to get superb sound.

BobR

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Thanks Dennis, I'll try Al.

Bob

rapsidy

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:59 am

Well done Bob

I like you playing on the stairs too cool B)

i have never heard this song without the words, so you will have to sing it next time

there are a lot of barre chords in that one for sure and u did great.

look forward to the sing along version ;)

enjoyed it

Brad

MarkM

Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:54 am

Bob,

Great job on this. Good to see a video from you again. I believe that with a few more rounds of practice you'll nail this thing. I really love this song. As for the recorded sound, have you ever thought of getting a USB mic? I use one to record the guitar directly into Audacity. I haven't had any bass issues with that set up. It may work for you as well.

MarkM

AcousticAl

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:24 am

Hi Bob. Great work on this video! As others have said, your strumming seems nice and steady-- much improved from your previous uploads.

One thing I noticed was that you seem to be a little late on getting your index finger down on your barre chords. Neil suggests you get the barre down first- before your other fingers.

Technically- I was going to comment that it did sound a bit tinny to my ear. MarkM might have an alternative for you if the line-in isn't up to snuff. I just use a webcam program to record my vids- but there may be some settings that you need to tweak? We can chat via pm if you like.

BobR

Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:40 am

Brad - Thanks, I was going to attempt singing next time, not sure when though. I need to practice more and also get the sound better from the guitar to PC first.

Mark - Yeah, I really like this song also. I have not tried a USB mike but I did try one direct to the line in. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Al - Thanks, and I am trying to get the barre down first. I know I don't always but for some reason my finger and brain seem disconnected when a barre comes along. :laugh: Yeah Mark suggested the USB mike maybe I'll try that. I'll PM you later tonight after work.

Bob

BigBear

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Hey Bob! Really solid performance. Congratulations on your hard work.

I liked your low, left hand position but may I suggest you try to barre your chords without having to move your arm so much, it's throwing off your timing because it's such a big move. Or release the previous chord a little early to allow you time to get into the barre.

Also, try to move from such a steady strum to a strum accenting the first beat of the measure and then a lighter stroke on the rest of the measure. This will give your song more feel. This song has a bit of a "bouncy" feel to it that doesn't reward such a steady strum.

You're really close to having this song down pat. Keep up the practice and post a follow-up video so we can see how you ended up!

Thanks for sharing! :cheer:

wrench

Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:44 pm

I liked it Bob. I've been working on this in the open version, but I think you're a little ahead of me on it. But I liked it. Pizza Points for you!

BobR

Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Thanks guys for taking the time to review this.

Bear-I hope to take all the constructive critiques here and apply them for next time.

Wrench - I found it harder in the open position but when it comes to singing(Yikes) I might need to.

Bob

michelew

Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:18 pm

Bob, have you ever tried using a strap and specifically hanging the guitar in the middle of your body with the neck at an angle - more classical style. You might want to give it a go as it makes forming barre chords waaay easier and you wouldn't need to reach like you are now. It may take a little time to get use to the position change, but I'm sure you'll see what I mean about the barre chords being easier once you try it. If you don't have a strap, you can give the position a go by raising you left leg on something (say a small box) so it is about 20 cms (8 in) off the ground and then resting the body of the guitar between your raised leg, and lower leg and your body.

In this position you can actually use your upper right forearm and your back muscles to help you to pull your left hand against the fret board as well (sort of using both arm muscles to flex the guitar rather than solely using the muscles in your left hand).

Of course the additional clearance that it gives your hand is one of the biggest benefits, along with having a better view of what you're doing

You never know you might just like the way it feels and you have more control over the angle of the neck.

Food for thought.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic