rapsidy learning to play across the universe acoustic guitar

rapsidy

Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:30 am

I have never sung before picking up the guitar, and only about 6 mths ago because I couldn’t strum anything to sing to lol.( I can hear some saying you shouldn’t picked up the guitar )
So everything I post up is out of my comfort zone and new to me. Only my poor long suffering wife and you guys get to see it. Even this song, as I mentioned in previous upload, I hadn’t listened to the Beatles much at all, I saw this song on the top of the Beatles TG list and thought I have never heard this before and it’s on the list so it must be good.

I listened to it and liked it! But it is a very challenging song for me to try and sing, John Lennon has a rather difficult voice to follow and especially how he sings this song, I don’t think it is easy to sing, but it is fun and challenging.

I said to myself after last post, that I wasn’t allowed to post another song until I got it sounding pretty good, but I just couldn’t help myself.
I hope you can get through it.

I can play intro better without the camera on lol, but I am unsure how to count the intro with a metronome any tips??

With the singing and playing I don’t really know what I’m doing, I don’t really know much about either just having fun but am keen to learn, so fire away troops.

Comments welcome
Thanks Brad

Chasplaya

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:22 am

Hi Brad I take my hat off to you for singin along this early in your journey with the guitar. You seem to have the playing ok but maybe more attention to the right hand, Neil misses some beats to break up the feel and on second beat he plays bass note of the chord. But timing wise thats coming along nicely.

willem

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:30 am

Brad,i got through it,,even my goals are Beatle songs this year i havent throu this lesson,,i think you did it pretty good,when you got in some transtion trouble(not much)you stay nice on the singin,,i think you a nature talent for that,,you inspired me to give the lesson a look early then i thought for my self,,and add you add my favo's..

michelew

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:02 am

Brad, That's coming together very nicely. If you're having trouble with the phrasing of the singing you could do one of a couple of things:
[ol]1[/ol] - sing along to the recording over and over and over until it is burned into your memory and/or
[ol]2[/ol] - use one of the programs that allows you to slow your reference track down to the speed you want to lean it at without changing the pitch. The one I use allows you to change the pitch and loop too. If you can't find one, PM me and i'll give you a recommendation. This will allow you to play along at a speed you are comfortable with and hear the singing at that speed too.

I think it is just practice and listing to the recording more from here.

Good work.

Michele

Lavallee

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:25 am

Hi Brad, your strumming has improved a 100%. Your right hand is much smoother and your pick does not dive into the string anymore, we can hear the plastic against the strings: the sound of a relaxed hand. I find that you sing really well. You are handling those high notes like a pro, and most likely any other John Lennon songs will suit you very well.

RicksPick

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:07 am

Brad well done
Very watchable
Congrats on the progress
Voice aint bad either

RicksPick

MarkM

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:45 am

Brad,

Well done!!! Your best work to date. I agree that your strumming has improved by leaps and bounds. Wow 6 months is all you've been playing. That is amazing. To sing and play like that in such a short amount of time is incredible. Great job.

MarkM

beaker

Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:57 am

Brad, You have done well, This is a big improvement on your last post and this is really quite musical. You are rapidly becoming a TG star because you have gone form zero to hero in 6 months! Definitely good on ya for singing too! I know how hard that is. No big critique or tips here just kudo's. Keep on Strumming! Beaker.

dekotaj

Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:14 am

Yes sir,BRAVO!!

You seem to have some trouble when you started.But once you got to singing things came a long very well.A little nerves to start,but this gets easier the more you post.The song sounded good.look forward to your next song.

Kevin

wrench

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:05 am

Hey Brad,

You show great progress in six months, as others noted. After the camera jitters melted away, this video got seriously good. You mentioned some difficulty with the intro. I, too, worked this song at about six months, but I couldn't play the intro until three months later. I needed to develop more skill at traveling long distances on the fretboard. You are developing fast. Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't stress over it - you're sure to nail it pretty soon.

Aside from constructive criticism and all that business, this was really enjoyable to watch. Your singing was noteworthy, and is of such quality that it really adds to your performances. In other words, Post More. Sing More. Thanks for sharing this one with us.

Dan

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic