tovo Tears in Heaven guitar lesson review upload

tovo

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Hey thanks Craig. Agree, it's good to post a work in progress (although not too early in my opinion) so you can really put into practice the feedback and polish the song up. I used that method for Father and Son and got a lot from the process.

Bill, you're a great support mate. Thanks.

Pierre thanks for commenting on the thumb. I was pleased with that aspect as well when I watched my own recording, i.e. that the thumb went to a good position when I wasn't using it to fret the low E, so I was real pleased with that. I do feel confident to play the song, I played it in the store when I was buying the new Taylor and it sounded real nice on that guitar. I'll be picking that up soon having now sold my last guitar and raised the cash! Thanks Pierre.

hey Captain, thanks for the comment mate, appreciate your support.

buddy

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Tony,

Super progress you are making on this song, your hard work is really paying off and your efforts are really transforming your guitar playing.

Great job mate,

Bud

scotta

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Tony,

Great job mate! That is a beautiful song and you are extremely close to being spot on with it. I haven't worked on this song yet so I can't speak much on the technical aspects, but I will say you seemed very relaxed and your techniques looked good to me. It was a pleasure to watch and listen. Thanks for posting!

Scott

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:48 am

Once I got over being blinded by your lack of a hat I got into listening. Well played my friend, I totally understand the thumb over for this song, it justs seems the right way to do Clapton's song justice. Minor timing issues with the F#m change just need to smooth that out and your almost there. This is one of those songs that got me back into guitar so I now know it reasonably well. It really needs the other guitar playing to replicate clapton, one day I might work on the other part. Again well done, i'd take my hat off to you if I had one on lol

tovo

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:01 am

Buddy thanks mate. The harder I work the more progress is made and it enables you to tackle more complex songs. Appreciate your comment.

Scott cheers. Bit more work is needed but it's coming along. Thanks for commenting.

Chas old mate. I deliberately left the hat off cause I don't want to create the impression I am trying to hide my big bald head with my various hats. The hair has been gone forever it seems and I'm quite OK with that...I just like hats!

Absolutely too slow on the F#m, I will work on that. I say you should work on the other part and we can do a trans-Tasman job on it someday. Thanks for taking the time.

michelew

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:10 am

Tony,

I love this song and I think you did a fantastic job on a really hard song!! I get that you're still working on it, but it is sounding really good already and very recognisable. You seem to be getting most of the hard changes and the complex timing. I've started this but I'm still focussing on the initial phrases.

If you continue to work on it, one thing I'd suggest you try to bring out more cleanly is the triplet (hammer-on - pull-off). I think it's really important for being true to this song. I also think it's a good thing to get down properly for good technique and expanding our playing range. Your's is a little rushed, muted sometimes - and sometimes the pull-off isn't ringing out. That would really add to your performance I think.

You really do look comfortable, regardless of how you really feel. Good for you!

Great job Tony. I really enjoyed it. In fact i'm going back to listen to it again. Gee this will be SO good when you've nailed it completely, especially if you add your honey baritone too. There won't be a dry eye in the room.

I loved it!

Michele

tovo

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:21 am

Michele thanks your comments are spot on I think. It's a long number and I was focused more on getting through it than those things you have mentioned, like the hammer on-pull off, and the somewhat slow changes in a couple of spots that will really improve the delivery once I have them down. I am keen to have a go at singing it, not sure if it's really in my limited range but we will see. One step at a time.

I hesitated to post this "work in progress" video but I think it's a worthwhile exercise. So appreciate the advice so far.

BigBear

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:29 am

Tony- man, you are really improving! Well done, mate!! i think you have all the parts and pieces there and all you need to do is play the song a few thousand more times! lol!

Taking on a classic Eric Clapton song is a tall order for any guitarist and it won't be learned quickly. You are well on your way!

I agree with everyone else that you are certainly getting more comfortable and relaxed. That is a huge step. Probably comes from playing all those god-awful expensive Taylors in the guitar shop!!

Congrats on another fine performance! Can't wait for the next one. With the Koa GA?

Take care buddy! :cheer:

michelew

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:33 am

No need to hesitate, I love seeing people's works-in-progress, especially if they've been working hard on something, tackled something and/or are at a stage where they need advice with a bit or technique they are struggling with (even though they've been working hard on it for a little while). I'm sure most people here feel the same.

tovo

Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:49 am

Bear thank you. I look forward to your comments because I know if it's poor you will say so (always in a very constructive way ) and I really appreciate that. You're right...a few more thousand goes. You're right on the Clapton numbers, I'm learning that with Layla, but I so love his stuff. Yes...next time will be on the new Taylor.

Michele absolutely right. There is so much value in the constructive comments here at TG, it helps one to improve at light speed if compared with struggling through alone. My own improvement over about 18 months can be almost entirely attributed to TG and help from my friends here.

I get by with a little help from my friends....sounds like a cool song title!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic