tovo Tears in Heaven guitar lesson review upload

willem

Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:53 am

Hey Tony,,well done,,i read first all the feedback,then the vid so i was more comfortable with what or how you was playing this,,i've watched and tryed Neils lesson a bit so i can say much of it,,when i go full on the lesson i try to learn it Neils way,,but,but, when i get trouble i alway's have your vid to hybrid something couse it came reconiseble along and enjoyed it pretty much,thanks and looking with pleaser forward when you have it totally nailed it and sing to it,,i think you put this one not in your closet..well maybe but only for to be saved..thanks again Tony,,love it a..

tovo

Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:10 am

Hey thanks Willem. Yes it is a hybrid, I certainly looked at Neil's lesson on this but also several other places. Like I said, right or wrong I wanted to play it as close to Clapton's style as possible. I'm keen to improve it and to sing it. Could take some time but there's no rush. Thanks my friend.

suziko

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:21 am

Tony- Wow! I was really impressed with your playing in this song! You've come a long way as a finger picker. I've mentioned to you before that it seems to me you are more naturally comfortable with finger picking, but I didn't realize just how far you've progressed in your finger picking. This is a HUGE jump in difficulty level from, for example, Hallelujah.

I agree with Michele that the hammer-on/pull-off combo could be worked on, not because it sounds particularly bad (at all!) in this version, more just because it's a great technique to be able to do well (wish I could do it!) and a signature of this song. Otherwise, honestly, I've got nothing to recommend to you on your technique.

One question: did you choose not to sing because you wanted the video to focus on your playing (everyone loves your singing and it does seem like sometimes the attention on that overshadows your playing) or because you found it too challenging to play this song and sing simultaneously?

tovo

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:34 am

Hi Suzi. Thanks so much, your comments are very kind. I think Michele's comments were right on. Plus just having people comment on the F#m, tonight I played it with a focus on achieving a quicker change and immediately it sounded better.

I chose not to sing because I wanted the focus to be on the guitar. It's kind of you to say I sing well but I always feel like it takes the focus away from the playing and I want very much to get that right first. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure I can do the song justice if/when I sing, but I don't find it overly difficult to play and sing simultaneously. If that sounds somewhat arrogant that's certainly not my intention.

Thanks Suzi, your support is wonderful.

pbraun

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:44 am

Tony, that was excellent! Very smooth and pleasant to listen too, great job

Pete-thought for sure you sing it!

dekotaj

Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:37 am

BRAVO!!!Tony,

Great job on this song!I to was sure you would sing it.So now I'm really looking forward to your next posting of this song with you singing it.My hat off to you for the thumb over style of playing.I use this on the F chord most times.But on this song I play it with out the thumb over.Its a lot of hard work to do this song like that,so BRAVO again Tony

Kevin

snipe

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:17 am

Tony

There is nothing I can add technically. To me it sounds like you got it down. In fact I thought it was pretty damn good! Im jealous about the thumb over. I dont think I can reach(dinky hands). Excellent job!! What kind of Taylor are you getting?

Thanks for posting.

Mike

tovo

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Hey Pete, thanks. I'll try the singing at some point in the future I think.

Kevin thanks for your encouraging remarks. I agree it's more work with the thumb over style but right or wrong I was keen to finger it like that.

Mike thanks very much, a few slow changes to sort out, but some focus on the tricky areas will sort it out I think. I am getting a Taylor Koa Limited. Way too much guitar for my ability and experience but I picked it up and fell in love. I did that with a girl when I was 17 as well but unlike that affair... I think this one will last a while.

MarkM

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Tony,

I'm heading off to vacation tomorrow but wanted to chime in here before I left. Great job!!! That song looks fairly complicated as I've seen you and others now post thier efforts. Others have all given advice so I'll leave that to them and Neil. I agree with the others that you looked very relaxed and into the music. You can certainly tell that the fingers were just following the heart and soul of the player. I really liked this one. Well I'm off for the rest of the week and can't wait to see what you put up next!!!!! Hopefully with the new Kow Taylor. Have a great week and keep strumming...............

MarkM

tovo

Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Hey thanks Mark, have a GREAT vacation mate. Looking forward to your next effort also. Taking a guitar with you on vacation? Hope so. Be well and "see" you when you get back.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic