tovo Tears in Heaven guitar lesson review upload

tovo

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:39 pm

Well I've been working on this one for a few weeks. A real favourite of mine and I'm thrilled that I have learned enough at TG to be able to take it on. Now, I suspect I will be in Neil's bad books because for all but one chord I am using the thumb over that Clapton uses but Neil does not recommend. For me, I wanted to play it in that style (I FULLY understand it's nothing like Clapton but I just like the thumb over). I'll be interested to see Neil's take if he gets the opportunity to review.

It's far from perfect and I was going to wait for my new Taylor but I though it was good enough to post for review. I don't think I have ever done a tune that's really clean anyway! I don't think there are many "howlers" in there.

As always, really grateful for any comments.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

beaker

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:09 pm

Tovo,
I think it was an excellent job! It looks like a tough one with a lot going on. I will leave the tech advice to Neil. I think you must feel pleased so far, it won't take long for a couple of the changes to be smoothed out. I look forward to the update on your Taylor. Beaker.

Lavallee

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Tony, I have never seen you so relax while playing. It seems like someone else took the video and you did not know about it. You were into the song, barely looking at the guitar and your playing was so good, changing chord issue is a thing of the past.

This is a great video showing improvement. You sure looks comfortable fingerpicking. Personally I like the thumb over , every now and then, to give some variety in doing chords.

Congratulation mate

Marc

wammer

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Tony

I completly agree with Marc. You seemed soooooooo comfortable and your connfidence showed thru in your playing.......Great job ;)

Tammy

BobR

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:40 pm

Tony,

You've obviously been practicing. Seemed like a minor timing issues going to the F#minor chord(I think)but since I have not even attempted this song I shouldn't offer any advice. I think you'll have this nailed in no time.

Real nice job!!!
Bob

tovo

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Beaker - Thank you mate. It was on a Taylor...just not the new one :) I've been so impressed with your playing, I appreciate your comment.

Marc/Tammy - I thank you, but I was not as relaxed as I look. I get real nervous when the camera goes on..I try to remember what Neil said at the live show about not going for the perfect take, but when I just sit and play without the camera it's much better. Just more practice I guess. But hey, if you LOOK confident..that's half the battle right? Thanks for the encouraging comments on improvement.

Bob - thanks to you. I agree some slow changes on the F#m, it needs to be quicker but getting there. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Craig

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Great job Tony! This song is a favorite of mine as well, although I haven't attempted to take it on yet. It sounds good and you have the basics down very well. Congatulations on your continued improvement ... and incoming guitar!
I almost didn't recognize you without a hat! :laugh:
Keep up the great work,
Craig

haoli25

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Very nice Tony. It was a pleasure to watch and listen to. As you mentioned just a couple of minor little tweaks and you will have that one nailed. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Way to go Tony, this is a classic tune you'll soon have made your own, and from now on you will regularly whip it out, knowing that every single person who hears you recognizes the song and is glad to be within earshot.

As for your using your thumb: your hand position seems quite good, your thumb is barely visible when you are not consciously using it to fret the low string, so I doubt that you will be hit by retribution from on high for this.

I play a version of Tears in Heaven that I got from a tab site way back when, but Neil's rendering of it is much more spot-on. Seeing you do it so well tells me I've got some unlearning to do in order to play it more correctly. Ugh! Sometimes that's harder than learning from scratch :dry:

Thanks, I enjoyed it ... keep going!

Pierre

captainkdp

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm in the same boat as Pierre, learned an easier version, but Neil's sounds much better. Good job!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic