jcrocket learning Carefree Highway guitar lesson

jcrocket

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:05 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Hi all!

Been lurking around here for a while, finally got the nerve to post a video. Apologies for the video and sound quality from my iSight camera - planning to buy a decent camera soon.

Thanks
Jeff

PS - Wow, had no idea the lighting would turn out that poor - one more thing to work on before posting again!

willem

Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:40 am

Hello Jeff,,lurking he,,congrat with your stage,, a Gordon Lightfoot song,,not so familair with but i enjoyed your performence very much,,a alternate tuning?? you did great and i think its a nice song that i maybe want to learn,,goodluck..can you tell a litlle more about your self??? I saw you got a badge,,then you were certainly lurking..

jcrocket

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:18 am

Willem, thanks for listening and for the kind words. Just standard tuning on this one.

Live in Ohio, 53, 3 grown kids. Played a lot when I was younger, got away from it for a while, then back into it when I got my first acoustic a few years ago. Now playing a Martin 000C-16GTE, and enjoying guitar more than ever before. Hope to learn fingerstyle soon - lots of good pickers here! Maybe learn some slide down the road...

tovo

Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:57 am

Hi Jeff. Great post mate, I really liked it. Like Willem, not a song I can recall ever hearing before but didn't stop me enjoying it. Hope to see another song from you real soon. Looks to me like you have been playing for some time so you could probably help a few of us along as well. Hope to see you being more active.

Thanks a lot for the look, great tune.

RicksPick

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:03 am

Jeff
What an introduction/ first video
No need to hide a talent like that
Very nice strumming and singing

Video quality is fine, no need to spend more
Just move the lamp to behind the camera, so your lit from the front
Sound was fine.

Would be nice to see more from you
Cos It was well done

RicksPick

haoli25

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:01 am

It always helps to have good material doesn't it, Jeff? I am a BIG Gordon Lightfoot fan. Welcome to the TG Forum, glad to have you with us. Your tips, tricks, questions, and opinions are always welcome here. I like those Martin guitars too, I have a D-35. Great first video, I really liked listening to it. Get that lighting fixed and you've got a winner. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

michelew

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:25 am

Jeff, That was REALLY enjoyable. What a debut! Great smooth playing and singing too. No more hiding, you're out of the closet now and I hope to see a lot more form you.

I really must check out this Lightfoot fella, seems he can write a song....

Great job Jeff.

Michele

jayswett

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:11 am

I'm with Bill on Gordon Lightfoot. I spent alot of time listening to him in college in the late 80's and this song in particlar is one that I enjoyed very much. Your version was very, very good. The timing seemed just right, and the singing was excellent. It will take a few more videos before you have the lighting and sound just right. I'm still working with my recording system, and I've certainly posted more than my fair share of videos. It's an ongoing process. Anyway, this was a great first post.

suziko

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:56 am

Nice job! I was really excited when Neil posted the video for this lesson, as it's always been a favorite GL song of mine. I've been listening to Gordon Lightfoot since I was just a little girl- he's my father's favorite artist- and i still listen to his music regularly.

You played this song very well- nice timing, your varied strumming kept the song interesting, and great singing. I really enjoyed this- thanks for posting!

Lavallee

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:07 am

Hi Jeff, congratulation on your first video. You are doing very well and you have a great voice. No problem with strumming or chord changes. I would like to suggest to try to vary the emphasis you are putting on the second beat of each chord. Right now it is there throughout the song. We can hear the strum variation in the verse change or the chorus, but that emphasis on the second beat is there. If you listen to the original you can feel that the strumming accent is often on the first beat and it is just a small effect. Probably that small effect is just letting go the the chord at the "and" of the 4th beat

Mind you, your version sounds really good too. I always loved that song, and it is the song that made me discover Gordon.

On your next videos, try to center the view so that we could see both your hands, especially if you are getting in finger picking.

Great job

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic