sws626 learning to play I Want You (electric version) acoustic guitar

sws626

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:51 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

As I mentioned in my previous post, this is a song I started learning on the electric guitar -- or, I suppose I should say, as an experiment to try to figure out how the thing works. I don't pretend to know the first thing about electric guitars and this is really a new instrument for me. So any suggestion will be helpful.

This recording is just what the camera mic picked up. Again, I'm trying to record in one take so you can see what needs to be improved. But this one took me a couple of tries to get all the way through the song (I think you can see the expression of relief on my face when it was over).

-Stuart

cosmicmechanic

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:42 am

Nice start on electric guitar, good emotion there, very warm and smokey atmosphere. I can't give tech comments since I know zilch about electrics, but the timing on this song is difficult and your timing is quite credible.

Takes me right back to some of the great times this tune was a soundtrack for.

Problem is, now I'm having trouble returning!

Thanks, I enjoyed your video
Pierre

willem

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Stuart,one thing a tracked me on this site was acoustic,,i love your acoustic on this song,,i don't mean to say,no electric,thats only me.. a view years ago a nevew say to me ''you can borrow my electric'', i did that for two weeks,,i could not handle,when i came a litlle on the strings,man then it already maked sound,,i found it very difficult.
what i ment to say is...have fun with the electric..

michelew

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:20 pm

Stuart,

It sounds good. Looks hard.

I think you need to make it easier on yourself by at least shortening your strap. The angle of your left hand has to be making it harder for you.

You guitar sounds and looks great.

Michele

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi Stuart nice tune one I hadn't really paid much attention to. But since revisiting it, I think you need to have the bridge pickup selected and if you have a distortion channel on your amp or a pedal for distortion try that and you would get closer to the original sound. Also I think you need to use a pick on this one to get some of the staccato sound needed. Very nice guitar mate.

PS had another look at your vid and it looks as if you have both pups selected, amp settings also help here, low volume on amp, turn down gain, volume up on guitar and then slowly turn up gain to get the sound. And don't be scared to bend those notes a full step tuck middle finger in behind to help out your ring finger with those bends.

Lavallee

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:40 pm

Very nice Stuart, really like eh jazzy sound of the guitar. I agree with Michele to strp the guita a little higher to do the finger picking. If you look at your left wrist, when finger picking , it is almost at 90 degrees.

Marc

buddy

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm

Stuart,

What a fun experiment that was !!! Your expressions at the end really made my day. Very fun and thanks for posting that up.

Bud

jimcjimc

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Stuart,
Good job with this. But,...

But, I thought you were a Dylan fan - I was expecting to hear Dylan's I Want You!

tovo

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Stuart,

Nice setting my man. It was like an advertisement for the White album. I don't know a hell of a lot about electric at all, but Chas seems to have given quite a few handy tips. I thought it was cool though, and I enjoyed watching and listening. Thanks for the upload and keep rockin!

BobR

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:43 pm

Stuart,

Nice job. Your timing seemed real good and came out in the tune.

Thanks for posting
Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic