sws626 Bell Bottom Blues guitar lesson review upload

sws626

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:41 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Although this song didn't make the top ten cut in the recent Clapton bonanza, Neil has given us more than enough clues to help figure it out.

Check out the TG News update from 5 April (from 4:20), if you haven't already. And of course, the teaser lesson over on youtube, which I wish I'd been paying enough attention to have found earlier.

Here I'm really just working on getting across a rough feel for the song and tackling the challenge of singing along.

I'm working on an acoustic solo for the second guitar part; I'm not yet satisfied with that, but it may come later.

-Stuart

beaker

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Stuart, I must admit, I am not too familiar with that song (Eric Clapton right?), but I think what you have done here is great. I have no idea how you guys get these different vids so sync up but it is working for you! The only thing is, I could not hear the left guitar very well. Keep on strumming! Beaker.

haoli25

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Great job Stuart. I really enjoyed watching your video. That is one of my favorite Clapton songs. Nice job with the editing too. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

Lavallee

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Wonderful video Stuart, and it is great that you can play with your twin ;) . Your playing and singing is very good and full of emotion. Not a big issue, but I think you would benefit to have a thicker pick, as sometimes the strumming gets buried by the sound of the pick. A harder pick would promote more the strings.

Really like your video, this is a good motivation to start using this technology.

Marc

willem

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:26 pm

StuART,,WOW, i listen first to the acoustic version from Clapton(in Japan),then yours and man what a workout you made,,it was a kind of nice melow performers where you could sing on some places a litlle higher and on some places you may belten it out(but you know),, i havemuch,much respect for you and enjoyed it very much,,so much that i must give a look at the lesson,, Not bin there yet,,i make a big bow,,well the hands you get from Bill i presum,,much,much respect,,,thanks

sws626

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback.

This was fun to record, though somewhat less fun to format the videos, as you may have seen from another thread.

Beaker, in mixing I reduced the amplitude of the original recording of the stage left guitar by about 3dB because it seemed too loud; perhaps that's pushed it too far into the background. That guitar isn't actually doing much yet. Mostly I was just playing it as though it were a bass and throwing in a bit of strumming here and there. So you didn't miss a lot.

Bill, thanks for the applause. This is one of my very favourite Clapton songs as well. I hadn't really ever thought of playing it until I recently watched the acoustic video Willem mentioned. Glad you enjoyed it.

Marc, you're right about the pick. I'm working my way up to thicker ones, which I find require a lot more subtlety. The thin ones (this one was pretty thin at 0.60mm) are more forgiving, but noisy. If you knew how much more time I wasted trying to get the video software to work properly than I spent actually playing the song, you'd be less enthusiastic about the technology.

Willem, Yes, that's a great video of Clapton and friends at Yokohama Arena. Andy Fairweather Low is pretty impressive in that concert as well. Something to aspire to. But I don't much care for the solo he does there. It's impressive, but just not as mournful as the recorded version on Layla. So I'm trying to find something that follows the melody a little more closely. As I recall, our first conversation was about songs that have a wide dynamic range. This is definitely one. I'm not really comfortable belting it out yet, though. You should check out Neil's mini lesson (link above). The song itself is not difficult to play -- at least compared with the life experience that makes you want to play it. The only really tough part is the E/G# chord, which I sometimes cheated on here since I knew the other guitar would cover the bass note.

-Stuart

MarkM

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Stuart you are on fire this week. Another great one. I have always like this song and you did it some serious justice. The video editing was pretty cool as well. You did get a bit washed out because of the windows in the back but maybe that was what you were after. Anyway nice work on the strumming. I thought that was just about perfect. Nice even tempo. The lead portion just needed some volume and I know you said you were still working on that part. Can't wait to see the next version. This was really very good. You should be proud. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

buddy

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Stuart,

That was very cool. I really enjoyed the whole effect including the split screen. You are really on your way with this song and I always enjoy your posts.

Bud

tovo

Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Stuart, my only "complaint" is that I found the volume a bit low. But it was GREAT. I really liked it, you have a good voice for this tune. I thought it was a really cool blend of the 2 guitar parts and you put it together so very well.

Loved it. Thanks for the look.

michelew

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:16 pm

I really enjoyed that Stuart. I love your singing and look forward to more of it.

The only little bits of advice that I might add have already ben said. So all that's left is ... Great job!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic