jayswett Kathy's Song guitar lesson review upload

AcousticAl

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Just amazing, Jay! I can't believe how great your timing and fingerpicking is.

Also great how you just go for the singing. You've sure come a long way on here, and it's always a pleasure watching your uploads.

haoli25

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 pm

I have to agree with Tony, it was spectacular! You really did a great job with, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful of all of the Simon and Garfunkel songs. I also thought your singing was very good too, but it could have used a bit more volume. I did notice that the bass notes in the runs are a little more pronounced in both Paul Simon's and Eva Cassidy's version. You play so well, you may want to add the melody notes at the end that Paul and Eva used too. Your video was truly inspirational, Jay. Thank you so much for posting it.

(...and for anyone wanting to sing along with Jay's video, here are those beautiful lyrics)

I hear the drizzle of the rain
Like a memory it falls
Soft and warm continuing
Tapping on my roof and walls.

And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To England where my heart lies.

My mind's distracted and diffused
My thoughts are many miles away
They lie with you when you're asleep
And kiss you when you start your day.

And a song I was writing is left undone
I don't know why I spend my time
Writing songs I can't believe
With words that tear and strain to rhyme.

And so you see I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you.

And as I watch the drops of rain
Weave their weary paths and die
I know that I am like the rain
There but for the grace of you go I.

Bill Image

d_dog

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:17 am

Jay, simply amazing, you are like a machine with that right hand picking. Very nice PIP too BTW, not to use too many acronyms, LOL. :) And awesome on the vocals, I love that you're singing your songs now too, very cool
Really though, you are so good at picking and motoring through those intricate patterns. I love it. I have to start by saying, I can not do that yet. Picking is still a challenge for me.
I do have to say though, since that's what we're here for, and I may have mentioned this on another post of mine regarding one of your other songs, it sounds just a bit too much like a machine. I guess what I'm hearing (maybe incorrectly) is a bit of a droning effect, like it lacks any dynamic range or feeling. Believe me it's not the timing, you're spot on there, like a human metronome. Once more with feeling! hahahah All the best of intentions really.
Love listening to you man, inspiring indeed.
Take care!

jcrocket

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:26 am

Fantastic job on one of my favorite Paul Simon songs. Your picking seems so relaxed and effortless.

willem

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:20 am

Hey Jay,,i enjoyed it again,,Not so Familair with Kahty's song so i listen to a view and must say you did very nice,,but you want advice or suggestions for improvement,for me it is difficult to give(more for the master(s)),but i looked to some sheet music(piano),i saw the song is in 2/4 time so i wonder for myself how to pick that and hope Neil is goin to explain some music(pickin)in that time measer,,for as the range of singin,,i think you can get there when Jim(singin coach)gives his practice and technicks on that.. i saw one sheet of music and the melody started at a G(third string) and highest was a C, i think you can get there but must stay on your own voice(not act like the artist),,i say again i saw one sheet of music,don't know if there were higher notes in the song,,i spoke to you with all of good intensions and find you did a very good job...inspired me?? yes!!

michelew

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:30 am

Jay,

That was unbelievably good. Just fantastic!

I'm listening to the eva Cassidy version now and you're easily good enough to be on the album.

Besides Eva's awesome voice, the only thing that is different on the album version is that the dynamics change (softer and louder in bits). You might try it. I think it gives the song a little more feeling in parts.

But gee, I'd be SO proud of myself if I could play the song like you. It's really stunning.

I hope Neil teaches it at some point.

How hard did you find it?

Thanks for the inspiration.

Michele

rapsidy

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:40 am

Nice jay

singing was fine by me and well i have said before i only dream to be able to play like that. Thanks for sharing

I took your advice and watched eva isnt she just amazing she plays and sings like no other i reckon very angelic, its a shame shes gone :unsure:

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:53 am

Beautiful Jay! Your picking is an inspiration to us all and you sang that so well. Excellent job! That open mic has to happen sooooon Jay! I believe Art Garfunkel called this Paul Simon's most beautiful love song.... I agree and you really did it proud!

RicksPick

Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:17 am

Jay what can I say
1st class, impressive
Outstanding
"encore"

RicksPick

dekotaj

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:22 am

BRAVO!!!Jay

What a great song!I like all the pinch walk downs & ups you do in the song add a real flavor to the song.Thank for the post,look forward to you next performance.

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic