jayswett Kathy's Song guitar lesson review upload

snipe

Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:53 am

Jay

Excellent work! Wish I could finger pick like that! Like seeing your posts. Please continue!

Mike

BigBear

Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:14 am

WOW, Jay, that was pretty professional! You really have the Travis picking down pat.

I thought your singing sounded fine but I'd love to hear you sing and play together. It may be possible to slow down the rate of the fingerpicking and make it much easier to sing along with. That rate of picking is pretty intense.

I wish I had something useful to add but that was just terrific. Congrats on your hard work! I really love that song and you did Artie and Paul proud! :cheer:

sws626

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:00 pm

What a great job, Jay! Really impressive. I hadn't heard Eva Cassidy's version, so you've inspired me to listen to something new, which is always welcome.

As everyone has already said, your mastery of the technique on this song is just superb. I thought the singing was very good too. Not easy, I know, but you pulled it off admirably.

Someone suggested that you might slow it down a little bit, but this sounds to me pretty close to the original tempo.

If there is one area for improvement, it's the one that Damian and Michele mentioned of playing around with the dynamics; that should be easy for you to experiment with since you have such a strong command of the song, but is really just icing on an already very sweet cake.

I really think you are ready to take this one out in public.

-Stuart

willem

Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Hello Jay,just want to know if you know this chord,,x0403x,,,used i believe the first 4 measers,,,just curious what you think!!

lmc831

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:29 pm

Really nice job Jay! YOur fingerpicking was perfect.
Lisa

dennisg

Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Absolutely beautiful, Jay. Your picking is always an inspiration. Great post.

jayswett

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:15 pm

Thanks for the comments, from which I've gleaned the following:

1) I should play that song with a Capo. I took Tony's advice and tried singing it with the capo at various locations. To my surprise, the 4th fret seemed to suit my range best. And Bear, I will learn to play/sing together and repost at some point soon.

2) It definitely needs to be a bit slower, as Eva Cassidy did with her version. It's probably about right for the S and G version, but for Eva, it really should be slowed down a bit. I really like her version, and in fact that woman's singing nearly brings me to tears. Her Fields of Gold cover is incredible.

3) I hadn't noticed the variation in intensity of the studio versions, but I agree that variation really adds to the song, especially when the song is played slowly. I will work on that.

Thanks all. I'm now working on song that actually requires a pick. Angie. It's coming along, but slowly.

tovo

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:23 pm

Hey that's great Jay. It's ironic that I could give you some advice that worked given I had to be taught by a friend how to use (or not use) a capo just recently. Still, we learn from each other. I've always thought you have a nice voice so glad you have found the right key for you to sing this number. There's sure no issue at all with the playing.

jayswett

Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 pm

willem wrote:
Hello Jay,just want to know if you know this chord,,x0403x,,,used i believe the first 4 measers,,,just curious what you think!!
If I'm not mistaken, the chord to which you refer is the chord used by Paul Simon in his intro. Eva Cassidy uses a similar chord for her intro which I believe is just a C shaped chord moved up two frets. That's how I played it in any case.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:37 am

jayswett wrote:
willem wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the chord to which you refer is the chord used by Paul Simon in his intro. Eva Cassidy uses a similar chord for her intro which I believe is just a C shaped chord moved up two frets. That's how I played it in any case.
Yep, that's my take on that chord too Jay. Love Eva's version and like you, she has me in tears in 3 seconds flat!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic