jayswett Kathy's Song guitar lesson review upload

jayswett

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:49 pm

This isn't a Target Song, but it's a great song nonetheless, especially when covered by Eva Cassidy. Have a listen to her version if you haven't had the pleasure already. This song is not comfortably within my vocal range, but I took a shot at it anyway, even though my 8 year old tells me I sound too "squeaky". As always, I'd like to hear suggestions for improvement, other than sounding less "squeaky."

tovo

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Wow Jay the playing is spectacular from my point of view. Just great, I couldn't possibly offer a suggestion for improvement. This is one I'll be very keenly waiting for Neil's review on.

With the singing, I have found it frustrating that many songs I love are a bit out of my range. I'm going through that right now actually. This is where I think you should experiment a bit with a capo and see if you can get it into a key that you are more comfortable with. i could see/hear you struggling with it but having said that, tremendous kudos for anyone who adds vocals, it's really very challenging.

Did I mention the playing was spectacular??

BobR

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi Jay,

Your finger picking is really great and I am not in any position to offer vocal advice but I thought they sounded pretty good from what I could hear. It was a bit low, the volume that is. Great Job!

Thanks for posting.

Bob

MarkM

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Awesome Jay!! I really liked that alot. I know the song well and you played it great. It's been a little while since I've last heard that song and after listening to this I think I need to dust off that album (well find it on the ipod) and give it a listen. Thanks for sharing!!!!

MarkM

Music Junkie

Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:55 pm

Jay:

Like the others have said, I can offer no advice on the song, as your fingerpicking skills are well beyond mine. I truly admire your efforts in that category. I also look forward to the possibility of a review on this one. The singing will get better as the confidence grows. I like the PIP style of sing along though, as it frees you up to fingerpick like a madman.... :)

As always, I really enjoy your uploads.

Jason

beaker

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:00 pm

Jay, Great job on that song! I really liked it. I thought your fingerpicking was really good. I don't have any advice to offer, just kudo's. I think you should be very happy with this one. Keep on strumming (or Picking) Beaker.

songman52

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Jay, excellent job!! One of my all-time favorite S&G songs. I used to play it and sing it all the time, but never found a comfortable rhythm so it was different from one time to the next. You hit it great!
Is there a particular tab that covers your fingerpicking? I'd love to see the pattern you used.

I thought the singing was good and would have liked more volume. Let us hear you!

Overall, I really enjoyed that. Now I'll have to keep watching it over and over until I catch the picking pattern. Great job!!!

Jerry

Craig

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:53 pm

Great job Jay! It's been awesome to watch you become such a good fingerpicker right before our eyes...In my opinion, seeing members improvement is one of the many cool things about this site! Keep up the great work.
Craig

lueders

Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:54 pm

The Eagle has landed!...(crude attempt at golf-term humor, sorry)Very crisp, clear tone, rock steady. I'm no singer & I hate to disagree with your youngster but I thought your singing sounded pretty decent. (No-Mulligan Needed...) And, not to go off on another tangent, but are you playing an Alvarez there? ( I like those, very underrated guitars in my book.)
Anyways, you and some others @ TG have given me some initiative to further develop my finger picking...Thanx. Cori

buddy

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Jay, Great song and a wonderful job of it. You don't give yourself enough credit for the vocals as they sounded very nice. spectacular finger-picking as well.

Bud

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic