hesser Never Going Back guitar lesson review upload

hesser

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Hello again TG'ers. Thought I would post another one I have been working on. It's Hard to keep up to the rest of you out there doing such a great job on sooo many great songs. I have been working on Never going back for a while and it seems to have come together not too bad for me. I played it at a slower speed than what F.M. plays it but I feel it sounds so great no matter what speed you play it! I can get it up to the 180 but am not quite where I want to be yet at that speed and as Neil says " slow down to speed up!"
Anyway, as alaways I am looking forward to your comments for improvement and motivation. I hope you enjoy listening and watching it as much as I like playing it!!

Thanks again
Mike

tovo

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:37 pm

Can't play it myself so can hardly offer anything useful, but it sounded great to my ears Mike and you played it really smoothly and unrushed.

Thanks for the look, nice work.

mcfingers

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:53 pm

Mike, I think you did a great job. Seems like a great finger exercise and I love that melody. Well done.

sws626

Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi Mike,

I really enjoyed this and agree that it still sounds really nice at this speed. From my own limited experience, I'd say you are going about this exactly the right way and it shows. Speed will come when your conscious mind is out of the picture and the muscles have internalized everything (I know that's not really what happens, but you know what I mean). In the mean time, the technique looks really good and it's fun to listen to.

I just watched again to see if there was anything I could suggest. I see three things that I know I do and often get called out on. One is that the way you are holding the neck lower than the body of the guitar may restrict your left hand movement; the second is perhaps a byproduct of that and is that your right thumb is more less directly above you index finger, which can also be more restrictive than if your thumb is more towards the neck (i.e., right hand rotate a bit clockwise, like opening a door); the third observation is that your left thumb comes over the neck quite a long way on the open chords.

None of this seems to be affecting your playing, which I thought was just great, but might possibly be helpful to think about as you speed things up.

-Stuart

haoli25

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:14 pm

That was very cool! Your hard work is surely paying off. I really enjoyed watching and listening to your video. Thanks for posting it.

Bill Image

michelew

Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:45 pm

That was fantastic Mike. It sounded really wonderful.

I started learning this a little while ago and the bar with your little finger is pretty hard, but you make it look effortless. You've got it to a good speed too.

I really want to get back to learning it now.

Great job. You should be pleased with yourself.

Michele

6stringbostic

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:04 pm

wow nice job mike!!

i been wantin to learn this one too. now i'm inspired. i'll add this one to the list.

still workin on: yesterday, here comes the sun, and hula blues...

too many songs, too little time...

AcousticAl

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:49 pm

That's great, Mike. You upload reminds me how fun this song is to play.
Gotta re-tune the guitar to C Wahine tuning' and give it a go again!

Nice work.

dennisg

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:18 pm

Absolutely love this. Great post, Mike. I think with enough work, I could learn this, but in the meantime I remain envious.

beaker

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Hesser, That was sick! definitely dialed. You will certainly be ready to tackle level 8's & 9's. As for me, I gotta keep working.... Thanks for the inspiration though. Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic