jcrocket learning to play Papa Hobo acoustic guitar

jcrocket

Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:49 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

jcrocket

Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:54 am

Hey all-

Here's another song from Paul Simon's great first solo album. A bit of a work in progress, definitely some rough spots to work on.

Thanks
Jeff

tovo

Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:42 am

Well a pretty quirky tune, another new one to me. Look forward to seeing it when it's polished up Jeff. Looks like you are making progress on it though.

jayswett

Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:55 am

Lots of quick chord changes in that one. Sound quality wasn't quite as good as your previous videos. As usual, nice piece of music.

BobR

Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14 am

Jeff,

Not a song I am familiar with, but musically it sounded pretty good. A few rough spots as you said but not bad. I'll look forward to your next post.

Thanks
Bob

snipe

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:58 am

I never listened to much paul simon. Sounds like a cool song. Lots of little tricks in it to work on. Thanks for sharing your work

Mike

BigBear

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Well Jeff, you totally stumped me with that one!! I guess I'm not as big a Paul Simon fan as I was S&G fan! But that being said I really enjoyed your performance.

I do have a suggestion for you on this one and some of the other songs you've done. This song has a lot of quick chord changes and you are really slamming into them. It makes your timing choppy.

Try using an open strum (just the strings no fretting) as a way to buy some time to make your transitions smoother. Neil has taught us that this is an old folk singers trick and man, is he right. I use it all the time now. I like to play Jethro Tull songs and it is actually written into the tab on their songs. But it can be used almost anywhere.

It isn't necessary to strike all 6 strings. Just figure out which ones sound best for the chord you are leaving and the one you are going to. But it's always a suble stroke and not heavy. Almost a rest stroke.

Anyway, nice job again and thanks for sharing!

Cheers! :cheer:

jcrocket

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:16 pm

Really appreciate the feedback, guys.

Bear, thanks so much for the tip - can’t wait to try it on this song and others as well. Funny thing, I’m pretty sure I do something like that that on many of the Tull and Neil Young songs I’ve played for a long time - I guess I’m more relaxed on them, whereas on this one I’m still frantically trying to hit the chords. As Neil so often suggests in his lessons, I should probably also slow things way down on this one, until I’m way more comfortable with the chord changes.

Jeff

MarkM

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:11 am

Jeff,

It's taken me a while to get to this song. As always I really like your song choices. Can't wait to see the next one. I agree with Bear and others as this one may have been newer for you and you were just hanging on for the ride. Not sure if it was the notes or the lyrics that were slowing you down. Either/or, I'm sure you'll get it all worked out like your other songs. I'll have to check the original version to see how it goes but this may welcome a bit of a slow down to smooth it out a bit. Just a though. Again, thanks for sharing. I really enjoy your videos.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic