dennisg Killing the Blues guitar lesson review upload

sws626

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:17 am

Hi Dennis & Heather,

What a lovely performance. Nice arrangement for the guitar.

-Stuart

willem

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:03 am

Heather and Dennis,,,thanks for ontroduce me to this beautiful song/cd i certainly check it out,,

This is the first time i saw you strumming i believe and enjoyed it pretty much,,you was so relaxt and find you did great and making a great sound..

FOR the sinig,i love harmonies and you both did find them and i enjoyed that pretty,pretty much..

Must say you let us wait for a next upload but that was the waiting worth,,but when you put something up it's alway's a nice performence..

Thank you both,,and looking forward to the next...thanks again

dennisg

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:19 am

Thank you so much, everyone. Really, you guys make me blush, and I'm swarthy complected and don't easily blush.

Beaker: It has been a while since I posted a video, but I hope to post a couple more in the next month or so. Thanks for the comment on the guitar playing. The real challenge was to make three chords interesting.

MarkM: Man, I really appreciate your support and enthusiasm, Mark; it means a lot to me. This was the video debut of my Taylor 814, and I played it in a dropped-D tuning because ... well, just because. I love that tuning so much I'm going to have to find other songs to play in it.

Bob: Until a couple of weeks ago, Heather was a complete non-singer. What she IS, though, is a viola player, so she's spent a good part of her life dealing with harmonies, which is essentially what a viola player does. I love what she does on this song.

Suzi: I remember being speechless the first time I heard this song, which is not something I can say about my first listen to very many songs. But there's something simultaneously melancholy and beautiful about Killing the Blues, and I know it affected Heather the same way. In fact, she's so moved by the song and the sound of the guitar that she twice broke down in tears after singing it with me. I love that about her.

Jay: I know that I usually pick songs that are off the beaten path. Part of that is my lack of confidence -- I don't really like the idea of being compared to other TG members doing the same songs, so I avoid the songs in the first place. But mostly it's just that I view guitar playing as an accompaniment to singing, so I'm drawn to songs that allow that to happen. That was an incredibly nice thing you said about Heather's singing, and it encouraged me to start emailing the comments to her. I'll give some thought to a documentary video on the audio/video setup.

Craig: Haha...my wife Jamie was very happy that you mentioned the flowers. She was operating as my audio person/set decorator, and she placed the flowers there at the last second. We all enjoyed your comment.

Tony: Heather is nervous about singing in the best of circumstances, but in the last week she sang with me at a party and did this recording. That's big stuff for her, and I can't tell you how much I appreciate that she took a bullet train about 800 miles past her comfort zone. Maybe I'll totally blow her mind by suggesting we do an open-mic night.

Michele: I do like to encourage people (like Jamie and Heather) to sing with me. Part of the reason is that I suspect they want to; the other part is that I love harmony, and any chance I get to use it, I take advantage of it. The act of singing harmony with someone can be a very stirring experience. The way you wrap your voices around each other is sometimes very intimate -- sort of the vocal equivalent of sex, although you typically leave your pants on. By the way, I'd much rather collaborate with Alison than Robert. I like the way she fiddles.

Chas: This CD is a great lesson on getting the most out of the least amount of chords. I think there's a lot to be said for that. We all want to play Classical Gas, but this song is reminder that D - G - A can still work their magic.

Stuart: I think the arrangement works reasonably well. The song is laden with images of love gone wrong, and I hoped the guitar arrangement helped to illustrate that.

Willem: You're right that this is probably the first time I've ever strummed a song on a video. You have a shockingly good memory. The truth is that I'm extremely inexperienced using a pick, so I've been trying to force myself lately to use one, hoping that what I can get out of it can in some remote way resemble what MarkM does. Picking out individual strings with a flat pick is a real challenge for me, but I plan to do some more of it.

Lavallee

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:51 am

Hi Dennis as the others I am blown away by this beautiful arrangement and harmony Heather and you have created. Your voices sounds perfect together , sounds really professional, you are definitely ready for open mic night duet. Heather's voice is so melodious. I always thought you have a great voice but you seam to have increase your vocal range. Your guitar sounds rich, could you remind me your setup?

Marc

snipe

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:53 am

What can I add that hasnt been said? I thought it was Excellent. I love Allison Kraus and Union Station. And Robert Plant it goes without saying. The two together are Magic. Well thought out and executed! You did it justice!

Congrats to both

Mike

BigBear

Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Dennis- that was just sweet! I have really enjoyed that song, and album, since it first came out. It should be in everyone's CD collection!

You've really got this performance thing down pat! And I love the sound of your 814. It has such wonderful balance. And your vocals were wonderful too!

And finally, not bad guitar playing either you sly old dog! lol! You amaze me sometimes!

Again, well done and thanks for sharing!! When is the album coming out? :cheer:

dennisg

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:08 pm

Marc: Thank you so much. I may try to talk Heather into doing an open-mic night with me, but I have my doubts. You never know with here, though; she's already doing much more than even she would have imagined. You asked for my setup. It got somewhat trickier when I added the second mic, because my amp only has two inputs: one for the guitar and one for a mic. So, to add more mics or instruments to the system, I bought an inexpensive little mixer. Here's how it fits in the system. Both mics are plugged into the mixer (which can accommodate any combo of 4 mics or instruments), then I plugged the mixer into the mic input of the amp. My guitar went into the amp's guitar input.
Mics = Shure SM-58
Mixer = Alesis Multimix 4
Amp = Roland AC-60
Guitar = Taylor 814

Snipe: Alison Krauss is just awesome. Like I said previously, I can't imagine who thought of pairing her with Robert Plant. Next thing you know Bonnie Raitt will make an album with Gene Simmons.

Bear: I'm not sure what it is that I do that gives the impression that I've "...got this performance thing down," but I'm at least happy that I don't look too nervous. As for the 814, I couldn't be happier with it -- that beautiful rosewood in dropped-D tuning gives me just the level of growl I was looking for. Thank you for the kudos, Rick.

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Dennis, I am almost as happy for you and your charming friend accomplishing this as I am for myself being a spectator to it.

Make sense? Oh well ... it was goood!

A comment about your playing: I didn't see much of the pinky resting on the guitar top in support of your picking/strumming hand.
That be wise grasshoppah, according to Sensei Hogan. Are you weaning yourself out of the "pinky-rest" habit?

Congrats

Pierre

Catman

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:06 pm

Dennis and Heather,

Way to go! Not much I can add after all the previous compliments to you both, but in my usual British Understatement manner I have to say that that was jolly good, old chum!

-David

hesser

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:15 am

That was just so awesome I am not sure what else to say. I REALLY enjoyed that! The singing was excellent and the guitar was equally great. I thought you two did an awesome job. I hope when you watch the video you sit back with a smile and think..."hey we did well" because I am smiling!
Can't wait for the next one!
Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic