webostick learning to play BADGE acoustic guitar

Hydroman52

Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:02 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

sws626

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:06 am

Hi Webostick,
I've always thought this would be a very difficult song to make sound good on an acoustic guitar and I've not watched Neil's lesson. But your post has persuaded me that it can be convincing. I thought you did a good job of keeping up a steady beat and the part where you move from C -> Am -> F# sounded good. Your picking technique on the arpeggio also looks good. But the timing seems a bit off. As I recall, there's a sort of staccato in the verse that I don't hear here and there's almost equal equal emphasis on all the notes you play in the arpeggio, which is also missing some tension. I think this could all be easily remedied with some practice against the original recording. So while there's still work to do here, it sounds like you are on your way to a nice acoustic version of this song.

-Stuart

BigBear

Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:10 pm

Webostick- good job with this one!

One suggestion is I may. Your timing is a little off, expecially at first. This is not a song that rewards a smooth steady beat, or in this case a steady strum.

Remember, Eric Clapton is an old bluesman and steady timing means nothing in the blues! It's all about the feel baby! lol!

It may help to go back and listen to the original Cream recordings and that intro bass line. That summarizes the beat right there with Jack Bruce sliding into those notes to give the song it's feel. There is much more of a stuccato attack to the beat than you are using.

You are playing it just fine, just work on timing. For example there is a pretty big pause, maybe a full measure, before the main bridge riff. It creates tension and anticipation and is what makes this song so cool. We used to play this song in my garage band in the 60's and it was always a crowd pleaser! But I played rhythm so the lead guitarist always took the cool riff! No wonder he always got all the chicks!

Thanks for sharing this great tune and you are really very close to having it mastered. I hope you will re-post after you work out the timing a little!

Cheers! :cheer:

jayswett

Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Nice palm muting at the beginning. That riff at the end needs a tiny bit of work, but you are well on your way. Nice vid. A solid effort on a great tune.

BobR

Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi Webostick,

I have been working on this on and off for a while, but I haven't quite got the arpeggio down or get to the Am9 clean enough. Thanks for posting your version.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic