cavi learning to play Irish Dance acoustic guitar

dekotaj

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:34 am

BRAVO!!Cavi,

Not a song that I've tackled yet.But hope to someday.Good job sir,and thank you for posting.

Kevin

sws626

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:44 am

Hi Cavi,

That's a very pretty tune. I haven't seen Hector's lesson yet and don't know the song, but I understand what you are saying about the song calling for shifts in right hand finger position.

-Stuart

snipe

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:05 am

I cant commment technically cause I dont really know the song and I dont have finger picking skills but it looks to me like you have the core song down. Kind of a neat tune.
Thanks for posting your work.

mike

cavi

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:05 am

For those who asked about the guitar. It is a Bolivian guitar made by Ivan alandres I found it on eBay, they go for around 350 and are the deal of the century, solid rosewood sides and back spruce top thick ebony fretboard fantastic sound. Should be a much more expensive guitar but thus far the guy is unkwon. If you can get one do it. Thanks for the comments, does anyone have a link to micelles version?
On the recording, I own audacity, I use it with my electors, for acoustic, a mic is in the future, but this week I have a breed love boss nova coming!

suziko

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:26 am

Nice job!

Here's a link to Michele's video of Irish Dance, along with Neil's video response:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/86- ... by-michele

This song is so much harder than the level indicates! As others have mentioned, I'd just recommend really trying to nail the timing by slowing it WAY down to practice. Then, speed it up once you've got the timing perfect.

Beautiful guitar!

cavi

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:02 am

Thank you for the link, it gives me a point to shoot for. Yes this tune is way over what I would consider a 1, the swap in finger position alone makes it so, the timing, which is soo critical is also a tough one. I will get there. I normally like to post a video at this point so I can see for myself what exactly I am doing.
I wish there was a way TG could categorize the student videos by song.

jayswett

Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:33 am

Nicely done. I started that song a few months ago and got distracted, so never learned it fully. You have re-ignited my interest in this lovely song. I see that you are using AVS as your video editor. Gpod choice, in my opinion. When using the free version, that watermark stays in place for sixty seconds or so, then goes away. It's fairly easy to add text and cut videos in desired locations. Youtube has some instructional videos on how to use AVS. Just search for AVS tutorial videos, or something like that.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:03 pm

Nice job Cavi! Well done on this song and keep us posted on your progress. The gang have already supplied the valuable inputs... I'll just cheer!

cavi

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:59 pm

I normally use Pinacle, but that is on my office laptop, which is only at home on weekends, so I got stuck just using that avs, I did not want to buy the full version as I do own pinicale, all I need to do is install it on my netbook at home, but I wanted to get that video done last night as I was home alone, both kids are at boy scout camp and the wife is at her aunt's home.
BTW, I did start playing the song today with a metronome, I am setting it at 80 for now.
Neil, maybe you could ask Hector for a close up of fingering of the last note of the secnd measure and the full 3rd measure. I am using my ring finger for the e then my thumb index and middle for the Am, and then shifting the index and middle for the next arpeggio. However at times it almost seems that he does not use his ring finger for the high E, it looks like he uses his index finger.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic