cavi learning to play Irish Dance acoustic guitar

cavi

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:07 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

cavi

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Sorry for the watermark, for some reason it would not let me upload as a AVI, and at home i did not have a conversion program. I really like this song, sorry for the inconsistencies, still get the jitters when recording, getting better but not quite there yet

BigBear

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:13 pm

Cavi- this is looking and sounding really good. I think it would be very helpful if you could shift your camera so we could see your left hand.

One of the chief things I saw, and this is very important, is to assign a finger to a string and stick with it! The normal order is the index finger (i) on the G string (third), the middle (m) in the B string (second) and your ring finger (a) on the high E (first) string. This will only chnage if you are playing a pattern on the low four strings.

You are jumping around and picking up the strings with whatever finger is convenient. I used to do this too but it is a very bad habit and will be hard to break later. Learning this finger discipline will pay big dividends later.

Your timing is still a little rough but that will improve with practice. This song will work well with a metronome. Highly recommended early on!

Overall, it's looking good! I hope you re-post this when you've got it down pat. Thanks for sharing this video with us!

Cheers! :cheer:

Lavallee

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Hi Cavi, glad you posted the video. I am also working on it. You did a fine job. Your right hand looks relax and you have Hector recommended position. On top what Bear has recommended, I would add to try to alternate your fingers when hitting the same string twice. I have been working on this technique for some months and it is starting to pay off as it allows to increase your speed without breaking the rhythm.

Marc

cavi

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:55 pm

not wanting to soung defensive, but normally I agree on the fingering, however this song does call for a shift in finger placement, not that mine is always correct, however it is close. I went back and replaied it and examined Hector's video on the right hand and mine is very close except for the fact that he sometimes even picks up the high E qith his indicator and I try and always use my ring finger on the high E. The shift is mandatory as the song starts with thumb on 5th string along with the 4th and 3rd, then after a couple of measures it swaps to 5th string with 3rd 2nd and 1st and in between you hit the high e followed by a roll from 2nd string all the way back to the 5th string. So it does require some change in fingerwork.
Again, do not take my response as defensive, it is just an explanation.
As for the video, I agree, I tried backing out with the camera and I could no longer hear the guitar well. I have a new guitar arriving on Friday with electronics which should solve my video and sound issues!!!!
Thanks for the comments

Chasplaya

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:55 am

HI Cavi, thats coming along nicely, I hear you about the fingering, confused me to start with but the way Hector plays he hasn't assigned fingers. Of interest what make is your guitar? Check out Micheles upload of this she did a commendable job and Neil gave a good review explaining how to get the vibrato

tovo

Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:44 am

Looks to be coming along really nicely. Thanks for the upload.

Yamaha48

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:09 am

Hello Cavi.

Thanks fore share this video my friend,nice tune.
Hope to see more video s from you here.

greetz Anton

willem

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:02 am

Cavi,,stay on foot and you get there,,for the sound,,have you think about a usb mike and set it in front of your nice guitar (what brand iit is??)and do yuo now ''audicity'' program? Thanks for sharing your playing on this song,,keep them coming and you break the nerves of recording..that said,,i must vid again..lol.. Thanks.

michelew

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:31 am

Aren't video nerves the pits Cavi. A sure way to mess with your performance. I REALLY get that.

This is great progress on a song that is trickier than the song level indicates.

I agree with Bear that it would be useful to use a metronome and slow it all down to the speed of the slowest bit in your video. Once you've got the timing down pat you can speed it up to wherever you want it. Mine sounded more like a dirge than a dance for quite a while.

You've some great sounding sections. You just need to smooth it out.

Good job.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic