webostick learning Badge guitar lesson

jayswett

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:54 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

sws626

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:42 am

Hi Wally,

Great to see how this is coming along. The timing in the intro & verse are sounding much better. That flourish you're doing with Dsus4 is interesting; but might be more effective if you used it more sparingly, maybe just the second time through that section. The arpeggio is also sounding much better with some added tension.

I went scouring the web for other acoustic version of this song and came across this one, which I thought was really quite impressive. The extent to which he fingerpicks the melody may not be to everyone's taste, but there are some interesting ideas here you might want to think about as you develop this song further. I look forward to hearing more as this progresses.

-Stuart

[video][/video]

jayswett

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:57 am

Some relatively minor things to work on, but overall you played that well. I do love that solo/bridge thing that he does. I wasn't sure about this, but it seemed like you might have cut that (the bridge) a bit short. If I'm wrong on that, just disregard. Congrats on that video.

beaker

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:12 am

Wally,
I thought your playing of Badge was great. Good to see another new member with a post. Look forward to see what you take on next. Keep on strumming, Beaker.

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Commendable effort Wally, a work in progress I guess but certainly in the right direction. The version put up by Stuart of Victor playing is not really a good comparison as Vic is a Jazz guitarist/teacher and hey I've tried emulating Vic on many a song and I'm miles behind this dude (total understatement lol), he does have some beautiful arrangements though and is worth checking out, goes by the name of Jazzguts on YT, some of his Blues work is outstanding.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks to all.

I've loved this song since it was first released. I've got a long way to go with it, but I never thought I'd ever be able to play it. Yes, that is one fine finger style/ jazz arrangement that Victor plays. Some great ideas to reach for. I'm only now trying to get a Travis thumb working. I'll keep chopping wood and see what chips fly.

W.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic