MarkM learning to play Old Man acoustic guitar

MarkM

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:42 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I've worked on and off this song for quite some time. The chords are the easy part. It's the right amount of palm muting that I've been trying to get right. Anyway there are a ton of mistakes in here. I put the effect on the video pretty much for laughs and a distraction from my poor vocals. I know the D riff in the beginning and the end aren't 100% correct. I can't seem to get my brain to work itself out for that. As always I welcome any commets and suggestions. Thanks.

MarkM

dekotaj

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Bravo!!Mark,

As always love the pick work you do so well.Thanks for the post

Kevin

willem

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:04 pm

AHAHAHAHAH,that's for the effect,,i found you were pretty on your way and you know where to put the lyrics.

suziko

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:22 pm

As always, great pick work. I'm so envious of it! This is a song I'd love to learn at some point, but it seems daunting to me right now. I can't offer much in the way of advice. I think you've made nice progress on it and the palm muting sounds quite good.

Not sure if it was intentional, but I loved the sepia quality of the video. Very appropriately vintage!

Suzi

BigBear

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Mark- that was really well done! Nice playin' and singin'!

Only suggestion is this song has a really percussive attack to it, especially the intro. Almost all the notes are struck with a hard down stroke coupled with a palm mute. Your version sounds fine but it you want to spice it up try getting those notes harder and then muted. It's tough to do and I don't have it perfect yet but it's getting better thank to Neil.

Your hammer-ons were excellent as was your timing. Put that one in your bag of tricks! That's a good one!

Great job!! :cheer:

haoli25

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Way to go, Mark. Another of my favorite NY songs and you did a great job on it. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

MarkM

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Thanks Everyone!!

Kevin & Willem - Thank you!!

Suzi - Thank you. As always it's a work in progress. The Sepia/old film look was intentional. I found the setting in the application I was using and figured I'd see how it turned out.

BigBear - I hear ya. This song is my nemesis. It's not the most complicated but for me its downright tough.

Bill - Thank you!!!

MarkM

Craig

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Mark,
Great job! One of my favorite NY songs. I have attempted this song and it is much tougher than it appears...keeping time while trying to palm mute and hammer on is difficult. You were solid all the way around. Way to go! Keep up the good work!
Craig

Lavallee

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Great playing Mark, the overall song is very good. Regarding the percussive effect, it is coming stronger at the end. But maybe it sounds OK in your room and the camera does not pick it up. I would like to point out in the G chord in the run down, I would suggest to alternate ups and downs, as you seem to do down picking only.

Thanks for posting

Marc

dennisg

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:23 pm

I've probably said this before -- and you're probably getting tired of me gushing -- but I'd give anything to be able to flat-pick like you. Absolutely gorgeous! I'm not sure what you were complaining about in your intro to this song, but it sounded darn near perfect to me. And your timing is flawless.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic