MarkM learning to play Old Man acoustic guitar

BigBear

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:25 pm

MarkM wrote:
Thanks Everyone!!

BigBear - I hear ya. This song is my nemesis. It's not the most complicated but for me its downright tough.

MarkM

We've all got them my friend!! Mine is Windy & Warm. Damned song! I wish I had never heard it! It's getting better but as many times as I've played it I should be better than the guy that wrote it! lol!

BTW- Old Man IS a tough song that looks painfully simple on its face. You've got it down which is way ahead of most of us! I basically learned palm muting my working on this song.

Cheers!

songman52

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:29 pm

Good job Mark, I really enjoyed that. No critique here, just wanted to say good job. Now I'm motivated to work on this one, as well. Thanks for posting.

Jerry

MarkM

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Craig - Thanks. Yeah it's tougher than it looks. I swear the longer I play it the more I realize I have no idea what I'm doing. This is my "Norwegian Wood" for sure.

Marc - You are correct sir. On this song I have that bad habbit. I learned most of this song before Target and that is the way I memorized it. I should change that. You'll also notice that I use the Neil Hogan G fingering in the verse but the old fingering in the chorus. I'm a mess on this song.

Dennis - I never get tired of your comments. It keeps me going when I feel pretty bad about my playing. Boy do I wish I could sing like you though.

BigBear- Thanks!!! Someday I'll get there. Now off to a "more difficult" song I can maybe have a better time with.

Jerry - Thank you for the nice comments.

MarkM

snipe

Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Mark,

I love this song, in fact I love the whole album. Its the only CD I have in my truck. I still get goose bumps when I hear it. Technically I think Bear has it right. Neil young songs on the surface seem so simple but in reality difficult to do. I have the same issues with his music and struggle to get it right. Thanks for sharing your work!!
Great Job.. Loved it.

Mike

BobR

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Mark,

I just listened to this on my way home from work today. You've got it down really good.IMO The guitar sounds great and your "old" video makes it cool.

Great job

Bob

mbleier

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:29 pm

Mark,
I am with most and don't have anything technical to add, just more praise at what sounded really well done to me. I thought the palm muting sounded good and the phrasing and timing were really good. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

beaker

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Mark,
Great job on Old Man... and I really liked the sepia look. Good on ya for singing because as we all know that makes it so much tougher. Your hammer on sections (and timing) over the D,Fmaj7 and C are really well done! but I concur with what Marc (Lavalee) mentioned about taking a close look at your picking and timing as you go over the G leading into and during the chorus. It is a challenging song and you have done a fine job with it. Keep on strumming! Beaker.

jcrocket

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:25 pm

Mark -

Well done. Seems to me you're a lot closer to having this down than you think.

Jeff

pbraun

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:04 am

Mark, always impressive! A song well done. I liked the video effects-nice touch to a great song!
Pete

tovo

Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:06 am

Mark the playing is great. It that's your nemesis then watch out when you do a tune you are happy with!

Neil Young is tough to sing. I speak from experience. Really, heartfelt kudos for taking on the vocals. Did you play and sing or put it over the top? Only asking because if you did it simultaneously it's more impressive, but well done either way.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic