MarkM learning to play Old Man acoustic guitar

jayswett

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:30 am

You have the palm-muting thing down just right, from what I can tell. I think this is one of your best videos. It's really exciting to see such progress by those who have managed to post a video record of their TG journey. Once again, I would encourage some of the more casual forum observers and TG students to consider posting some videos for review. It will be rewarding for you, and more enjoyable for your fellow TG colleagues. These videos are alot of fun to see.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:08 am

First class job Mark! Your playing sounds just great. I'm guessing you sang over the top on a separate track right? Not easy to sing Neil young (apart from Heart of Gold, maybe)and that was not bad at all. Love your videos!

rapsidy

Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:20 am

Hi mark the guitar playing sounds amazing, it sounds professional to me. I think singing is a confidence thing, the more you practice the more confident you get and bolder :) you sound fine by the way and as long as you enjoy it, thats what its all about isnt it. I think most of us would love to play really well, which u do, and be able to sing well enough to entertain friends around a "camp fire" or something, which you can. So if you keep practicing it you will continually improve, the more you do it the better it will get I believe

did i say how great your strumming/playing sounds ;)

Brad

MarkM

Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:29 am

Thanks All.

Mike - thank you. Yes I probably need to bang on those strings a bit harder. Always more work to do on this song. I'll give it another few months and see what it sounds like then.

Bob - Thanks!! As you can see I had some time on my hands that day and did the "old film" effect.

Mike - Thank you as well. The palm muting on this song is a bit more work than I originally thought.

Beaker - Thank you. I agree with you and Marc on the G run. I messed around with that late last week and with a few more practice runs I should be there. For some reason it never crossed my mind to do this way to begin with.

Jeff - Thank you!! Getting closer.

Pete - Thanks!!

Tony - Thank you. I put the crappy vocals on after I recorded the guitar. Later this week I'm getting another mic and stand to go with a new USB device that will allow me to record two channels at the same time. Once I have that I'll really make a go of singing and playing at the same time. Hide the cats and dogs as their ears may never be the same again. :laugh: :laugh:

Jay - Thanks. Yeah I think I did a video of this a while back after I started to learn this song. I think for this song and so many others is more of a feel thing than anything else. Just constant practice.

Chris - Thanks!!! Yes I sang over the guitar part. I think I hurt myself trying to sing this song. I could never match the original vocal at all. Didn't know to go high like Neil does or low. I wound up somewhere in the middle and did a rather poor job. I have no idea what to do when it comes to vocals. No concept of pitch I'm afraid.

Brad - Thanks Brad!! I wish I could sing like you that is for sure.

MarkM

AcousticAl

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:17 am

Hi Mark,

Always enjoy your picking and this is no exception. Nice work on the palm muting as well.

Some timing suggestions you may want to double check-
-1:07 On the walk up to the G chord, you seem to be missing a beat. Happens each time you play it.
-1:15 On your change from Em to G, there seems to be a beat missing here as well.

I'm going to play along with you to double check and make sure I'm not full of it...

MarkM

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:35 am

Al,

Thanks. There very well could be a timing issue as it is certainly my weakest skill. I'm trying to fix the walk up on the G with ups/downs instead of all downs. That should take care of that I hope. As for the Em to G I'll wait to see what you come up with. I think I just did an up/down there before going back to the D.

MarkM

AcousticAl

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:41 am

MarkM wrote:
Al,

Thanks. There very well could be a timing issue as it is certainly my weakest skill. I'm trying to fix the walk up on the G with ups/downs instead of all downs. That should take care of that I hope. As for the Em to G I'll wait to see what you come up with. I think I just did an up/down there before going back to the D.

MarkM

Hi again,

I just compared your version with Neil's. There is a difference in the spots I mentioned. I think you'll see what I mean if you play along with Neil's play through.

michelew

Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:42 pm

I missed this the first time around mark. So sorry for the late comments.

This sounds GREAT. I love that you're singing too.

I recently started to learn palm muting and I now have a appreciation for how tricky it really is. You may not have it where you want it yet, but I can already hear the percussive effect and think it works well.

I hold you up as a strumming role model. I want to be able to play as fluidly as you do. So I'm watching and learning.

Great job. Keep them comin'.

Michele

lueders

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:15 pm

I really enjoyed that! You inspired me...(I got out my banjo and tried to figure out the little fills that come in about 3/4's in.) I'm going to be totally unoriginal and agree with everyone else that this was a pretty solid performance...I'll just leave it at that! B.T.W. I think you've got a some real folkie-sounding vocals going for ya. (I mean that as a total compliment!)

MarkM

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Al - Got it. Thanks. I should pay more attention. Easy fix.

Michele - Thank you for the kind words. I'm no role model. :blush: :blush: :laugh: :laugh: Just doing the best I can with the little talent I have. I need to get much better. I wish I had better hand position like you always do.

Lueders - Thank you. Banjo? Wow I'd like to hear that sometime. I'll take folkie any day. Thanks.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic