snipe Thick as a Brick guitar lesson review upload

cosmicmechanic

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:52 pm

Smashing!! Quite convincing playing and totally credible vocals !

Little Milton must be very proud!

Thick as a Brick has long been seared into my neurons, just as a hint:
Back in the 70s, I'd walk over a half hour to get to high school in the morning.
Along the way, I'd meet 5 or more friends heading there too, and in '73 or '74 we spent most of a year performing the whole "Thick as a Brick" (2 record sides) on our way to school, each of us hamming it up singing the lyrics and using vocal sounds to imitate the instrumentation, causing some consternation and amusement among passers-by. Same story on our way home, except that the band would progressively lose members instead of gaining them along the way.

Love this song! If you have tab, could you count me in please?

Pierre

tovo

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:32 pm

I REALLY enjoyed that Mike. You play that so effortlessly, usually an indication of heaps of practice. I thought your vocals were really great as well, suited the tune very nicely.

I love these videos. Some of you guys are already in a place I want to be with my playing. Your videos are continuing inspiration. This one is in that category Mike. Thanks for the look it was great.

jcrocket

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Mike -

Absolutely fantastic. Thick As A Brick may very well be my favorite song of all time, and you totally nailed it - right down to Ian's little nuances that give his songs so much character. Thanks for posting - I'm definitely inspired!

I agree, there aren't any good tabs on the internet for this song - although rumor has it there's one printed in the paperback edition of the Boy Scout Manual ;)

Jeff

snipe

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:16 pm

Pierre- Thanks very much for your comments and the album cover. Wow, cool story. You guys were seriously into it. I have to admit i may have been semi phenatical at the time as well. Thanks for sharing some history!

Tovo- Thanks for your observations. Really appreciate it. If you are inspired that makes my day!

Jeff-Thank you for the good words. Its definetly on my top 5 all time fav's. Im kinda bummed about the tabs but what can i say. I guess they are all resting down in cornwall writing up there memoirs.. lol!

snipe

Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:59 pm

To all those looking for tabs here is a link to some tabs at a free site that you can look at. Its not perfect but pretty ball park but I didnt see any reference to hammers and slides, anyway its something to look at, but I wouldnt swear to their accuracy. Thats the only thing I know of unless you purchase something. So if you look at the tabs and watch some vid's you can nuke it out

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/j ... um_tab.htm

Me.. Im done with the Tull thing for a good while, but I hope Neil does some lessons and some of you other TG people post some Tull songs you are learning. Would love to see anyone's progress.

Mike

cavi

Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Wow! I am still singing it. Fantastic job. Mine posting up the tabs you are using?

Lavallee

Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:16 pm

Hi Mike, I decided to work on the song using your video. I envy your agility with the pick on those triplets. I am working on mother goose as well (and 10 others: spreading a little thin)where there is a run down using a similar speed and I cannot do it with the pick. I have to fingerpick to get the same speed. Sounds similar but it is not the real thing. Also your strumming generates the right feeling of the song, a pleasure to watch.

Marc

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:21 pm

Very nicely played and sung, very enjoyable.

If anyone wants a reasonable Guitar Pro of Thick As A Brick, I have it one, its a multi track so has vocals flute Martin Barre parts and drums etc. just pm me with email address.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:07 am

Excellent Mike! I really enjoyed that. Well played and sung... and Ian Anderson is not too easy to imitate. Like everyone has said, you bring the right feel to that song in your playing and vocals. Good job!

jayswett

Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:15 am

That was very well done, start to finish. I'd love comfortable with a pick like that. Very true to the original, that performance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic