MarkM learning Live Forever guitar lesson

dennisg

Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:41 pm

If I'm starting to sound like a broken record, it's because your strumming is consistently excellent and enviable. You have a natural feel for dynamics (slightly harder strum on the first beat of a measure) and a metronome-like sense of timing.

What I'd like to see you do is expand your horizons by setting the pick down for a couple of songs so that you can get more comfortable with finger picking. Of course, I realize that you ARE expanding your horizons (bravely, in fact) by singing. But it looks to me like there's not much more you need to learn about strumming, so I'd like to see you move away from it, at least for a little while. I hope it's okay to tell you that.

MarkM

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks all.

Willem - I'll try and get the strum patter down tomorrow. I play it more by feel and I'll have to slow it down. I haven't had a chance to pick up the guitar today.

Suzi - Yeah I like that version alot as well. I'll see If I can work from that. Much easier to sing when its slowed down a bit.

Damian - Thanks. I needed a song that from a playing perspective made me feel that I wasn't total garbage. More on that in the response to Dennis.

Craig - Thank you!!! Very kind words.

Tony - Thanks. Yeah I forgot how much I liked these guys. Kind of too bad how they ended up. I'm sure that we'll hear more from Noel though.

Dennis - Thanks. Funny that you say that. I feel my sense of timing is my worst skill. Maybe not on a song like this but certainly on others. I agree with you on expanding my horizons a bit. That is why I went to this song. I had been so frustrated with my horizons being expanded that I needed to feel better about myself so I learned this in a day and went for it. You can tell me what ever you want as I always like your comments. Never any offense taken here. I've been working on some fingerpicking stuff and it is just slow going for me. I'll get there some day I hope.

MarkM

jayswett

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:05 pm

dennisg wrote:
What I'd like to see you do is expand your horizons by setting the pick down for a couple of songs so that you can get more comfortable with finger picking.
Reading this, I am reminded of a post by Dennis many months ago detailing things he looks for when viewing new student videos. One of these things is whether or not the video demonstrates anything new for the student. I am guilty most of the time of doing things with which I am already reasonably comfortable (travis picking) and don't seek to expand my horizons as much as I should. I agree that it would be great to see some fingerpicking pieces from you, and similarly, I will endeavor to continue working on Angie and I'd Love to Change the World. Getting back to your video, and realizing that my comments above represent a semi-hijacking of your thread, I will say that you play Live Forever as well as that guitarist on the video.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic