MarkM learning Live Forever guitar lesson

snipe

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 am

Mark,

I thought it was great. Cool song. I can tell you are making progress with your vocals and I think you have a good voice!
I think you told me before but what model is your Taylor?

BobR

Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:25 am

Mark,

I had never heard this song before. After listening to your version I went to YT and listened to an Oasis acoustic version live. I then came back and listened to you again. I must say your guitar sounds great and your singing won't scare away anyone. I thought you did a great job playing and singing. You even got the 2nd part "higher" singing down really nice.

Thanks for posting :woohoo:

Bob

BigBear

Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 am

Mark- Tammy is right on, you are much too hard on yourself. I don't know that song at all but after listening to Bob's YouTube posting (Thanks Bob!) I think you you did really well.

Your guitar playing is improving immensely. I was going to suggest a slightly lighter touch but after watching the Oasis video you had the feel and strumming just right.

Don't worry about the singing. You did just fine and sounded surprising close to the Oasis singer. Singing in front of a few hundred of of your closest TG friends takes guts. And singing and playing at the same time takes almost kamikaze guts. Sing for the pure joy of it and the hell with everything else. I can't sing either so I'm right there with you and you sing much better than I do!!

Keep 'em coming my friend! I really enjoyed learning a new song and especially your performance. Can't wait for your next video!

Cheers! :cheer:

suziko

Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 pm

Mark,

Firstly, great job! I always admire your playing, and I also have huge amounts of respect for your willingness to push yourself outside of your comfort zone and to try to really challenge your abilities. This is an Oasis song i've always really liked. I think one of the difficulties with singing an Oasis song is that Liam Gallagher has such a distinctive (and not appealing to everyone!) singing style- plus he goes into falsetto on the "You and I are gonna live forever" line! That's tough to do.... I think you did a fine job following his example, but I almost wonder if you'd be better off taking the singing into a different direction- that is to say, NOT singing like Liam. You've taken a song that's electric and very-produced, and done it acoustically, which totally works and gives it a different feel. Why not take the vocals in a different direction, too? Anyway, just an idea. I'm hardly the singing expert. Suzi

MarkM

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks everyone.

Pierre - Thank you. I was a bit late to the Oasis party myself. I started to listen to them around 1999 or so. At the time I thought they were pretty fresh and engergizing for that moment in music. Those first two albums were fantastic for me. Some of the stuff afterwards not so much in my opinion. When I find my voice you all may be the first to know and have to let me know.

Bill - Thank you very much. Always like your compliments.

Marc - Thanks! Yeah my thumb can be an issue at times. I'm working on it. On this song I was using it to deaden the low E string when hitting those chords. Probably a bit a crutch though.

Chris- Thanks. Nice. Yeah I figured this was a PG rated site and I'd stay away from that. Wait until the next song though.

Jay - Thanks. It wasn't the Old Man song as much as some other stuff I was working on. I just needed a simply strummer to get me back on track with a little distraction.

Rickspick - Thanks. I just need to tell my vocals to go for it.

Willem - Thank you for the nice words.

Tammy - Thank you and thanks for the pat on the back. Songs are getting easier to learn everyday. Some skills just take longer than others.

Snipe - Thank you as well. Not sure what my voice is supposed to sound like but maybe someday I'll have a clue. My guitar is the Taylor DN8. Same as the 810 but without the "bling" and electronics.

Bob - Thank you and thanks for posting the video. That was the sound I was trying to go after.

BigBear - Thank you!! Yeah the strumming or amount of attack I was concerned about. I listened to the same video that Bob put up and tried to get as close as I could. I mostly play with a heavy pick for some of the individual picking but on this song it would have been too much. So on this one I used a medium .73mm to get some of the highend sparkle as well. When I record the guitar with the mic in front (that you can see in the video) it projects pretty well so I was able to get away with it.

Suzi - Thank you. Yup Liam has a certain way with the vocals. I tried and almost hurt myself trying to get up there like that. I was thinking the same thing as to try and turn this song around a different way. I cam across this video (below) that I think I will try to emulate as it may be more of what I can do ability wise. Maybe I'll get this out in the future if I can pull it off. This one is with Noel singing.

willem

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:45 pm

MarkM wrote:
[quote]Thanks everyone.

. When I find my voice you all may be the first to know and have to let me know.

Hello Mark,,when i listen for the third time to you,,playing and singin,you did great..
well your saying about your voice,,maybe you experiment to litlle with the capo..the vid below!!! he play's the same chords....BTW can you tell how you strum the first chord in his ups and downs,,i can't place my in one measer(i only know strumming told by Neil),,i try with a kind of ballad strum//cut time..

suziko

Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:56 pm

Ooh, I like that version A LOT. I like when Noel sings. More than Liam, I think.

d_dog

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Great job Mark, I don't know those guys much, very intrigued now...
Nice strumming work. I know what you mean about getting frustrated. Sometimes you just need a good easy strumming song to remind you that this is supposed to be fun and that you actually are a good player, and singer.
Keep it up man!

Craig

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Mark,
Great job! Your strumming is very solid as always, and on that guitar sounds really good. I wasn't familiar with this song but after today, I've heard 4 different versions! lol ... For what it's worth, I prefer your voice over Liam's!
Keep posting the great videos.
Thanks for sharing,
Craig

tovo

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:55 pm

Hey Mark,

Oasis are/were an awesome band, with a real bad attitude as Chris pointed out. I'm surprised not many seem to know this tune.

Anyway, do you think you could have picked a harder song to sing mate!? Pretty good job in my opinion given its difficulty. The playing as always was smooth.

As a big fan of Oasis I enjoyed it a lot. Thanks for the look.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic