neverfoundthetime learning Year of the Cat guitar lesson

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:16 am

And finally (for now ;-)) to stay on TARGET, here’s AL Stewart’s Year of the Cat, one of my favourites. Unplugged. I’m playing it differently to Neil’s lesson but am working on it still. I’d love to get the solo in there one day. First I’ll focus on getting the chord progression right for the solo part. I don’t think that’s in Neil’s lesson though. Here I just improvised. Please let me know if you think the way I'm playing this is ok or if I'd be better off following the lesson more closely. Many thanks!

Lavallee

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:52 am

Hi Chris, I like your unplugged version with the finger picking intro. I think you should try to integrate the little piano riff that Neil is showing, making it so distinctive. It could be a little slower to match your rhythm. Also you should consider adding the palm muting Neil is including in his strumming, adding a bit of drum in the song.

Nice video

Marc

haoli25

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:35 am

Smooth as glass, Chris. I couldn't help but play along with the video. Bravo!

Bill Image

tovo

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:35 pm

Chris I think Marc has given a really good response in terms of your version in comparision with the lesson, but all I can say is I like yours a lot. I think it's really nice. I see the UFOs came back to listen as well!

Nice post.

MarkM

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Chris,

Well done!! Not much I can really add to that. Havning not seen Neil's lesson in a while I really can't compare the two at this time. I really liked your version though. I like what you added (flamenco?)when you rolled your fingers on the down stroke. That gave the song a different feel for me. I liked it alot. Once again your singing was great. Your confidence shows through very well.

MarkM

mcfingers

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Another well done song from you Chris. I liked that version. I think you have a UFO infestation problem there however. :ohmy:

BobR

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi Chris,

Since I have not seen Neil's lesson on this I can't compare I can only say I liked your version
a lot.

Really good job.

Bob

jayswett

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:07 am

Two comments:
1) I'm definitely liking this new music room of yours.

2) Your guitar playing is so smooth and relaxed. You look like you've been playing that thing for 30 years.

AndyT

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:18 am

Neil has said how many times that a good guitar player rarely plays a song the same way twice. Doing it differently is a good thing.
Nice arrangement.
Good singing.

You do look like you've been playing for quite some time. You are very relaxed about it.

The acoustics in the room are a bit echo-y to me. Maybe its just my speakers. It sounds like you are in an empty room. Maybe some furniture in thee will help mellow the sound.

Not sure about the UFO thing yet.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:54 am

Thanks for listen in folks! Good tip Marc, I’ll be looking at that piano part. Unfortunately, I’ve not had much online access recently so I’ve been limited on going back to listen to the lessons a second time. I’ll catch up on that soon. Palm muting takes quite a bit of practise but I like what it adds. Bill, playing along… now there’s a suggestion… just get it on video already! ;-). You will never be off the hook so just bite the bullet! Thanks for the support Tony, I love this song and would love to complete it solo and all. Thanks Mark, the finger rolling works well on a nylon guitar so that’s why I add it. Thanks for listening Steve and Bob. Really recommend a listen to Neil’s lesson if you haven’t seen it. Thanks Jay, love the room and I’m practising more so I’m clocking up more and more productive guitar time. Andy, sometimes I just can’t play very well so getting in the mood and going with the flow so that I can relax is a key issue for me. For so long I was so up-tight about performing and I used to be so nervous that I couldn’t remember what chord came next. I really had to battle through those nerves to drop my painful self-consciousness. Took a long time and it can still rear it’s ugly head at any time, so relaxing like this is absolutely key for me. I can stuff up almost any song I play at anytime, anywhere so getting in the mood really is key. I’m not good enough to change a song every time but I do try it sometimes on some songs, can be fun.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic