AcousticAl More Than Words guitar lesson review upload

AcousticAl

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:04 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Been a long while between uploads for me. I'm still having internet troubles so I wasn't even sure if I could do this right now- but here it is. A work in progress, as per usual. You'll see that I should have stopped half way through, but forged ahead anyways. I know you're all pulling for me to get that last barre chord too!
(BTW Neil- I had to guess at that one from your video :))

Techie notes: Usually my audio is recorded straight from my guitar to my computer, with no ambient sound. But the tapping in the song was distorting that way, so I ran it through my MicroBR- then to my computer. This method allowed me to record both the 1/4" direct output of my guitar, and also use the microphone on the MicroBR, and mix those two onto my computer. Seems OK.

****Edit- There IS distortion on the upload! It wasn't there on my original, so it must have been introduced in the upload to youtube somehow. Not pleasant to listen to. See link below for clean version.

For those who haven't tried this song yet, the chords and changes aren't overly difficult. It's just all about the timing (that I'm still working on!) Give it a whirl-- it's a blast to play!

Al

Final edit?

I got it!! I lowered the audio by 10db and it fixed all the distortion.
My guess is that there's an audio 'normalizer' of some sort on youtube that messed with the upload. Couldn't handle the peaks & valleys. Anyways- if you'd care to listen to a clean version, here it is below.

suziko

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:21 am

Yeah, Al! Very nicely done. I was getting a lot of static coming through on your muted notes, but I don't know if that's from your video or the speakers on my laptop.

You're right that the timing in this song is seeminly the trickiest part. Well, the percusive strum seems hard too, but you've got both down.

I WAS pulling for you on that last barre chord! And it was nice to see you smile.

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:21 am

Hey Al, good to see you back in the recording studio! Looks like that is coming along well. This is very helpful to see the techniques necessary. It was going ok... sound is so distorted on the percussion that it's difficult to listen to. I 've had similar problems on the conversions but not as strong as that. I'd like to know what the solution is. Thanks for posting!

AcousticAl

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:24 am

Apologies to whomever tries to watch this. I just put in a support ticket to take this down (hopefully).

I guess my audio levels were ok at home- but at the tipping point for whatever youtube likes.

Will try again in the future.

willem

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:31 am

Al, you got it pretty down,,pity is the distorted sound on the tapping,,you said it was'nt on your own vid,,it came with uploading?? i did have ones a distorted vid,i upload it again and it was away,,,looking forward to th one without it..thanks

AcousticAl

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:32 am

Am doing a few test uploads to youtube. Will let you know what I find out.

michelew

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:59 am

Al that is coming together really well. I've started this too, but put it away when I broke a few nails. Your post reminds me to get back to it.

I look forward to hearing the undistorted version and more progress.

Thanks

Michele

Lavallee

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:12 am

Hi Al, you are doing very well on the song. Once again, I have learn something from your video (as with Stairway to Heaven and Nothing else matters).

I am working on this as well and I have the tendency to close my hand a bit and hit with my first knuckle to do the snare effect. I am always rushing to grab the next chord. I noticed that you keep your hand open and hit with the tip of your fingers, more efficient.

I actually just review Neil's lesson on the right hand section, and he is showing to have the fingers ready to pluck, not just closed and quickly grab as I am doing, I must have kept the image of the closed knuckles. He says to put the emphasis on the thumb, which you are doing fine.

Love these videos

Thanks for posting.

Marc

AcousticAl

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:16 am

Thanks Marc, Willem, Suzi, Chris, Michele and everyone else who is suffering through the bad audio quality. I'm uploading the same video with lower audio as I type- to see if that fixes the problem...

Edit- Lowering the audio reduced, but didn't eliminate the problem. I uploaded a more tolerable version in the first post though.

snipe

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 am

Al,

I watched the 2nd video. Technical video issues asside, I can see you have put some time in on this song. I thought it was an excellent job. What I really like was how clean your playing is. I know its a work in progress and would like to see it when you get the bugs out.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic