buddy GOOD PEOPLE guitar lesson review upload

buddy

Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:18 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I have been working on this wonderful song and needed some input so I wanted to post up a rough draft and get some help with it. First, the intro to this is a real challenge. I missed the first beat after the intro and it threw my timing off for the first round of the verse. I am still working on the timing of the verse and the bridge and obviously I did not play it all the way through and I shortened it up so as not to bore you all with it. I am also trying to combine a bit of the two guitar parts by using the base notes a little more in the verse.

Any observations and tips would be appreciated as I would eventually like to add the lyrics to it. I really like Jack Johnson's music as it is very positive and upbeat as compared to many other artists. Thanks a bunch MattB for putting up the lesson on this.

Thanks,

Bud

beaker

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:11 am

Buddy,
Good job on your rough draft. I have also been playing this song and have been having a good time with it as well. I think I can suggest a couple of things for you that may help. I am not sure about your bends... to my ear they seem like they come up a bit short. Have you tried to go for it a bit more and bend them more fully? Note.....I have noticed that during Matt B's play through, he bends, then gives it a little kick again. this seems to be just how he plays it but it is not in the tab. During the intro riff where it goes 9-11-11-9-11-9, on the G string, it ends on the 9th fret, but it looked like you added some notes there? During the bridge, it sounds really good on the E, then the B7 as well, but on the C#7, it holds there for the final upstroke. You are changing to the F# too soon.
Time and practice will smooth it our for you, and your version is already very good, it just needs a little refinement. I hope this helps Buddy. I look forward to the update. Beaker.

dekotaj

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:38 am

Hey Buddy,

Good start.Look forward to hearing the finished version.I don't play any Jack Johnson,But would enjoy getting to some one day.It's fun to watch folks rough draft of there songs.Something to look back at to watch the progress.BRAVO!!

Kevin

MarkM

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:55 am

Nice Job Buddy. Lots of things going on in this song. Many skills and techniques are asked to participate in this. I haven't tried this one yet but the lesson is a good one as it will certainl bring up my level of playing if I get this one under my belt. My only suggestion apart from more practice is maybe slow it down a bit for the timing issues that you mentioned. It may seem like a slow blues song when played slower but should allow those techniques to flourish. Keep them coming. I'd like to see this as you progress.

MarkM

buddy

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Beaker, Thanks for the input on this. I went back and worked in your suggestions and it made a big difference in the song for me. I appreciate you taking the time to give specifics.

Kevin, thanks for the encouragement as I have enjoyed your posts as well.

Mark, I will give the slower tempo a go. It is difficult to do with the funky beat of this song.

tovo

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Hey Bud. I think that will be killer when you have it sorted. Looks like there's a LOT going on...I feel I can only offer support, not advice.

Jack Johnson is cool. Know how I found him? Apple uses one of his albums on all their advertising for iPods etc. I thought I would check him out and glad I did.

This song is really nice. Looking forward to seeing it once you are completely on top of it. I think it's just repetition, you are a good enough player for sure to play it well.

buddy

Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Tony, Thanks for the support and encouragement. I am going to start working on the lyrics tomorrow. I really like his music because it is so upbeat, it lifts my mood :-)

BobR

Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 pm

Buddy,

All I can say is you always give a great effort. I too would like to see your progress on this. My daughter introduced me to Jack Johnson a few years ago and I have liked him ever since. I actually got to see him in his In Between Dreams concert here in Mass. Great show..

Keep it up

Bob

buddy

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:20 pm

Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. Really cool that you got to see him in concert.

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:59 pm

Nice one Buddy. Can't provide much in the way of feedback as its a song I've not tried yet. I do like Jack Johnsons music though. I really only started listening to his stuff after I found out he plays a Cole Clark similar to mine. I particularly like Taylor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic