jcrocket Whiskey Bottle guitar lesson review upload

jcrocket

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:02 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

jcrocket

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:06 pm

Hello all -

Special thanks to Lueders for suggesting Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt a few weeks back. I always love it when I "discover" a band that's been around for years.

Here's my rendition of Uncle Tupelo's Whiskey Bottle, complete with my obligatory botched lyrics.

Thanks
Jeff

tovo

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:25 pm

Jeff,

I really like your voice and this tune. Great lyrics in my opinion. Never heard of "Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt" not surprisingly, but if I were in a bar having a few drinks and you were in the corner playing that I would be enjoying it a lot, as I did when I listened to it just now.

Thanks for the look.

lueders

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Jeff,

In all sincerity, I am almost sure I like your version better than the original!

(You have to understand I am HUGE: Uncle Tupelo-Wilco-Son-Volt Fan; so that is saying a lot.). I think most of the time they play that one as kind of a bash-it-out straight 4/4 beer-soaked rocker. But I like your version better...putting a little more shuffle into it and accentuated the lyrics. I dug it!! Sat here, playing some mandolin fill lines over the top.

You have the perfect voice for this kinda of stuff. Anyways, my question to you is, since you've proven pretty darn good at covering these tunes and putting your stamp on them...why don't u take a stab at some originals?
(And if u have some, post 'em somewhere where I can see them...would ya? That would be cool. I would enjoy that.)

B.T.W. Glad, you liked both Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt...I requested a few in the Req. A SONG section you might like: "Wilco:Way over yonder in the minor key", Uncle Tupelo: "No Depression" and indie folkies "BLITZEN TRAPPER: FUR". If you like any of these get over there and vote! Indie-Folk & Alt.-Country UNITE! Also, I just thought of another one... SON VOLT: "Windfall" you could totally pull that one off! Your voice would do that one justice...Anyways, Awesome Post. -Cori

jcrocket

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:52 am

Tony and Cori - thanks so much for the feedback and kind words. I hadn't heard of Uncle Tupelo or Son Volt either until Cori mentioned them a few weeks back. I've been mainly a classic rock & blues guy over the years, and have barely scratched the surface of these other genres - it seems like there's a lot of good stuff there I've been missing.

Cori - there is a live acoustic version of Whiskey Bottle available from iTunes - I think it's a bonus track on No Depression - that I tried to emulate here. As for originals, I've never tried to write before - but up until a few weeks ago, I had never posted a video of myself (or even recorded myself) - so who knows?

Off to check out some of those other songs you recommended

Thanks
Jeff

rapsidy

Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:44 am

Thanks for sharing jcrocket enjoyed your vid, new song to me but enjoyed it none the less

Brad

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:54 am

Well done Jeff, very laid back and very enjoyable. I like the way you let that song "breath" as Neil may put it!
Good job!
Chris

willem

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:16 am

I comment on this vid becouse I've heard before of Jeff and like is playing and singin,don't know uncle tupelo so i was waiting on some links after the vid but there was'nt,so i search later,alway's curious about the diffrents and how it was nailed,so i can not offer anything then that i like it,think Jeff told the story..thanks

PS,,suggestion,,can you put up the lyricks as well,please be aware we see your whole guitar,,

Lavallee

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:08 am

very nice Jeff, looks like your own composition as you look into it rather than just playing it

Marc

snipe

Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:41 am

Jeff

Not familiar with uncle tupelo but maybe I should be checking this out. I liked the tempo that you played it. It had a good feel to it, and your voice seems natural and a great fit for this music

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic