tovo - The Beatles "Something" - guitar lesson review upload

snipe

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 am

Toni

Looks to me like you know how to play it pretty darn good. Are you not using a pick? You just need to make it your own now. May the force be with you!
Mike

BobR

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:20 am

Hi Tony,

As others have said you're well on your way to having this song down. You seemed to know where you want to go but occasionally you seemed a bit tentative. Anyway really good start.
Maybe you needed your hat :laugh:

Good Job

Bob

haoli25

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:57 am

You are so right, Tony, that is a great Beatles tune and I have no doubt that you will have it perfect in a very short time. That new Taylor sounds great. The only suggestion that I have that might help you is, put on your hat. You are unstoppable when you have your 'guitar playing hat' on. Thank you for posting your video, Tony.

Bill Image

waggis

Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:59 pm

Looks like some difficult chord changes Tony, but you are well on your way with more practice. Marc's suggestion about body position was good.

David

tovo

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Hi all. With this tune, I put aside my inclination to not post it until it was better because frankly I get much more out of swallowing my pride a little and showing my progress warts and all than I do from a page of "well done". I've worked very hard to get to this point (Sad but true lol) and I will take all of your great advice and apply it to my further practice. This is how I get the most from TG, but that is just me and everyone is different. Thanks guys very much. The theme of your advice is pretty constant but to address you all properly:

Andy: thanks man, appreciate your ideas. I guess I am concentrating like crazy and that doesn't allow any joy to come through. As I get better at the tune I will put more effort into a relaxed performance.

Willem: I think it's important for me to show that the aim is to go from where I am now with the tune (not so good) and improve it. I know you are a big Beatles fan mate, I will do it better for you soon!

Chris: Thanks always for your sincere support and understanding what I am trying to achieve.

Marc: I really don't like a strap but what you are saying makes sense. My bad sitting position has been mentioned before so I will have a look at that. Thanks always for such great advice.

Brad: Yeah I know what you mean mate. The gap between where we want to be and where we is often too big. Thanks.

MJ: Yeah I do rest my elbow on my leg and it's a really bad habit. I think I need to get up off the red couch sometimes and try to find a better position. I look like I'm I'm working hard because I am! lol. Thanks mate there's some very good tips there.

Mike: there's a pick there, but a light one. Thanks for being encouraging.

Bob: same to you mate, thanks for commenting. The hat will come out eventually.

Hey Bill: Yeah the hat gives me strength! lol. Thanks mate.

David: Agree the body position is something I need to work on. Thanks for commenting.

buddy

Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Tony (the Tonster :) ),

Kudos for taking on such a challenging piece and for posting it in its formative state. It is coming along very well and I can't add much to what others have suggested. I just wanted to encourage you to keep up your hard work and effort as each video that you are posting is showing the fruits of your labor. Also, has anyone ever told you that you have a very expressive face :laugh:

The Budster

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:39 pm

tovo wrote:
MJ: Yeah I do rest my elbow on my leg and it's a really bad habit. I think I need to get up off the red couch sometimes and try to find a better position. I look like I'm I'm working hard because I am! lol. Thanks mate there's some very good tips there.
Tony:

By all means, get your A## off of the couch..... :laugh: :laugh:

That was a huge problem for me as well. I have a big blue couch that is just freakin' comfortable as can be and my drink sits nicely on the end table next to it..... B)

I tried using my son's piano stool, and it helped. Then I invested in a raised seat (the one I used in my two videos) and enjoy using it too. Not as comfortable as the couch, but it does make me more conscious of my posture. If you watch Michele, her posture is awesome! If I try to sit like that though, my back kills me, so this is a happy medium for now.

Again, good start to a challenging tune..... ;) ;)

J

michelew

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Tony, I read your comments and everyones else's too before watching your video ( it took a while to down load). I was expecting it to be a bit of a train wreck, but what I found was completely different. You may not be totally happy with it but I think it's already sounding really nice and won't take too much to make it great. Sure there are a couple of places where you slowed down a little, but you know that they will smooth out in no time. That's just more practice.

Your strumming was even and light and appropriate for the song, most of the single notes were clean and sounded good. It was very easy to listen to. I was singing along. All of your hard work is really obvious.

In short, stop being so hard on yourself. It is almost there and already sounds really good. I really enjoyed listening to it.

Your sister will love it.

Michele

tovo

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:47 pm

Budster! Thanks bro. As I said it's humbling and a bit daunting to put out works in progress because it shows how far you have to go but hey, that's what the site is about...getting better with the help of others.

MJ I watch Michele all the time mate. She is just awesome all round! Good tips on trying different chairs. Actually I've been working on the tune this morning just after reading through the feedback and I already feel some improvement is evident so all good.

tovo

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:51 pm

michelew wrote:

In short, stop being so hard on yourself. It is almost there and already sounds really good. I really enjoyed listening to it.

Your sister will love it.

Michele
Hey Shel I sure hope she likes it. You are such an encouraging person and a good friend. I have some really good tips to work on and as I said, I can see that with some work I will get there. I'm staying positive and enjoying working hard on the tune. Thanks so much.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic