tovo - The Beatles "Something" - guitar lesson review upload

tovo

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 am

Well this is one that I post with mixed feelings. One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard and I am playing it nowhere near as well as I would like, but it is the most difficult number I have taken on..and it is what it is at this particular time. I know that my experience has been that I learn most from posting when the tune still obviously needs a lot of work, so I will certainly appreciate any advice.

AndyT

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:24 am

Tony,
Nice start. You don't play like you're happy with it. Hmmm...
Oh, and by the way... Someone stole the fret dots off your axe!

tovo

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:27 am

Gee Andy...you got in quick mate! Someone stole my dots??? What's the World coming to?? No..I'm not happy with it at all...but it's a start.

AndyT

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:34 am

I'm thinking that the point I was going to try and make was something about attitude. But then, I don't think too much so I could be mistaken. Ya know, I thought I was mistaken once. But I was wrong.

willem

Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:53 am

Oke Tony,,i know why you upload this great tune,,to get advice,,i can't give realy but what came right to mind was practice,practice to get it cleaner(maybe a suple wrist),,your on your way becouse i heard the tune in your playing,,so the piece of a carrot pie is a litlle,,no,no a big piece to encourage you that you nail it,i know you can..greetings from north to south..

neverfoundthetime

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:36 am

Just when I thought it was a quiet day at TG! Great to see you go for a song that motivates you so much but obviously is not easy. Great job on getting through the whole number and not stopping at a stumble, that's a great sign that you've been working hard on it. I just know that this is going to polish up really well for you Tony and what a great song it will be when you nail it down. Great job, it sounds like you are right on course and I'm looking forward to how this sounds further down the line. I think its an excellent idea to post it at this stage to get all the coaching that will surely come in from others.... just not from me, cos I can't play it yet! Good on ya Tony!

Lavallee

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:59 am

Hi Tony, I think you are doing much better than you are saying. You are well on your way to play it smoothly.

It is a tough song for bar chords as they are all in the end of the fretboard where you need the most pressure on your hand. Have you ever considered using a strap? From what I can see your body position is kind of curled around the guitar body making it challenging for your arm to keep the pressure (sometimes your index from a bar chord on the second fret ends up in the middle of the third fret)

Right now your left arm is almost horizontal because the fretboard is low, with a strap, your body would be straighter and the fret board would be higher making your arm to have a steeper angle to get to the fretboard. It would help clamping your index on the fret board. Some good examples would be Buddy with a strap or Michele with the classical guitar.

I think you are concentrating too much on making the strings ring and because your are putting a lot of effort on the bar chords and it is making your strumming a little heavier.

Looking forward to your update

Marc

rapsidy

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:08 am

Hey Tony

love the guitar mate B)

the guitar journey is funny as i would be glad to be able to play a song that well but can understand how you feel, because i feel the same way with my playing, you know where you would like to be but it feels a long way off even impossible sometimes and the doubts come in. But i think we have to keep reminding ourselves how far we have come, i have watched all your songs since i have joined and you can see that you are continually progessing (maybe not as fast as you would like?) but i can see it and they all sound listenable is that a word :dry: :unsure: to me.

I can also here the song in your playing as somone said that must be good, your doing great, looking forward to seeing the finish product

thanks for sharing

Brad

Craig

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:07 am

Tony,
Great choice of song and great job of challenging yourself! I always leave the technical advice up to some of the others with more experience. However, coming to know you a little bit, I'm 100% certain that you will have this polished up in a month or two. Good work!
Craig

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:23 am

Tony:

Nice choice of song. I like that one as well. I don't think it will seem quite so hard in a few weeks.... B)

Along with what Marc said above, it seems (can't be too sure since the clip is a bit dark) that you are resting your elbow on your leg. That seems to cause a bit of an anchor there only letting your arm swivel instead of moving freely to keep your left hand perpendicular to the fretboard. When your arm gets to a point where it is more perpendicular, it looks as though you are more at ease. When it gets to more of an angle, it seems you are working too hard. I only point this out, because I have a habit of doing the same and am trying really hard to change that right now. I find that if I keep my elbow off of my leg, I can move my whole arm up and down the fretboard keeping it more perpendicular and easing up some of the muscle work.

That being said, I agree that you are doing better than you think!

Keep up the good work. You will conquer this, as you have with the others you have tried.

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic