tovo - The Beatles "Something" - guitar lesson review upload

Yamaha48

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Hello my friend Tony.
This is not a simple song to play.
It looks me a song that must play evry day.
try and try,i beleave that evrything comes oke.

greetz Anton

tovo

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:30 pm

Hey Suzi: It's a tough one for sure. I don't think it would be a walk in the park even for someone with a lot of experience so it is sure a daunting undertaking for me. I honestly do think it needs heaps of work, but that's cool. I'm not frustrated with it, I look forward to incorporating comments and getting it down. I never would have dreamed of attempting this even 6 months ago so that can't be bad! I stole Jacob's drum stool...feels weird but I'll try to stick with it.

Al: Man thank you! There is a heap of great suggestions there, I will work through them. To answer at least one question, if you look that the TAB, there is an "alternate" fingering that I am using because I'm happier with playing a C Barre than the stretch it takes to play it otherwise.

On the F#maj7, I am using a" mini barre" on the 3rd and 4th string/3rd fret with my 2nd finger and use the 3rd finger on the 5th string/4th fret, so I am not using my pinky at all and it would be hard to see what I am doing. I have asked Neil a question in the TG Live forum to see if what I'm doing is OK. I spoke to the Big Bear and he mentioned it looked like I am still not set on fingering it and he's right as usual, I'm still "searching" for the chord a bit. I'll be happier once I get an answer from Neil but in the meantime I might try to learn to do it the way he suggests.

Cori: thanks mate. I'm not sure it's about popularity though. I just think that I usually post stuff that is a work in progress and has a lot of technical deficiencies so there are always plenty of tips for the more experienced players to provide. I have always asked for that feedback as a means of improvement. There's a HUGE gap between where I want to be and where I am so that's why I am now tackling stuff that is well beyond my immediate ability. Anyway, a common theme is that I need to loosen up in the wrist as you have alluded to as well so that will sure be a focus. Thanks for taking the time Cori, much appreciated.

Jay thanks mate. They are "odder" when I play them! lol.

Anton mate, good to see you back. I saw that you posted some Moody Blues so I am heading there now to check it out. You're right....practice and more practice!

willem

Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:00 am

Hey Tony,, you realy give me a hit(with your feet) on my bud to go the this lesson again(i was there ones when it came up),,so i understand a bit more and the more i listen to your upload i realise you are realy good on your way on this brillant,killer,suprising transitions,,its such a beautiful but very complex song but i certainly stay now on it,,

I saw you did the intro(and the same transition in the verse,,its the D-C-E7/B thing) a little diffrent and i think its easer to stretch then Neil explain,,but see it not good enough how you did it,,maybe you can make a litlle close up vid and tell what you doing there,,thanks in advange...love it a..

dennisg

Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:11 am

Tony,

I love that you don't hesitate to walk out your front door and climb a tall mountain. That says a lot about your confidence in your ability to ultimately overcome all the obstacles on your way to the top. Good on ya, mate.

"Something" has always been not just one of my favorite Beatles songs, but one of my favorite songs of all time, so it was nice to see a good guy like you take it on. There are some tough things to do in that song, no doubt about it: odd chord fingerings, demanding barres, etc. And you did great. A few things that might help for round two:

1. I think you hold the fret end of the guitar too low, and that makes barre chords that much more difficult to play and can potentially tire, strain, or injure your left wrist with that extreme bend. Raise the left side of the guitar and you'll feel your wrist straighten, which will make playing much more efficient and comfortable.

2. Shorten your strum. It's much better than in early versions of Norwegian Wood, but it could still be shortened, with more wrist action. Yeah, I realize it's early in the evolution of this song, but it's better to practice good habits from the start than to have to fix ingrained bad habits later.

3. I agree with Al about the bass walkdowns.

4. Something you could do for your viewers is to either plug in your guitar or mic it. The sound on your video prevents us from really appreciating what that gorgeous guitar can do.

jim56

Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:22 am

ToVo

Thanks for posting that one, we all benefit when Neil gives his review. That's a fine looking guitar you got there. I only wish I could sit down with you and strum a tune together.

tovo

Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:23 am

Willem: When I do it again mate I think the fingering will be cleaner and easier to see. Thanks for commenting on it.

Dennis: Your suggestions are spot on I think and I have started to incorporate many of them. In particular, I think my whole position and hold on the guitar needs a lot of work, including raising the neck to eye level. I have been practicing that as well as using a strap which in turn gets my elbow up off my leg and allows for a much better hand position. It feels weird right now but I know that with practice it will come to feel much more natural and it will help my playing immeasurably. Ditto on the strum and the wrist. I feel I'm loose but it drew many comments so I need to concentrate on that further. Al's comments were really useful and I'm taking them into account in my practice. Finally, the sound is frustrating to me because you're right in saying the sound could be much better. I'll need to consider a better setup.

Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated.

Jim mate thanks. I'd love to play a tune with you. I look forward to Neil's comments in due course as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic