And I know you can make it sing
Sure there's better people for tech advice
Quite alot of changes there mate
Keep it up

RicksPick

jcrocket

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Hey Tony -

A little late to the party, but I have to agree with the others that you're closer to having this one down than you seem to think. Maybe mix up the strumming a bit (a little more wrist and a little less arm), and you're there.

Nice job.

Jeff

d_dog

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:25 pm

Great job Tony. It's so great to see you tackling songs that you deem outside your comfort zone. This is when the only real progress happens, now if I can just tell myself the same thing. Can't wait to see you keep working on this one.

Take care man!

tovo

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Rick: Thanks mate. Yeah the tune has a lot of difficult chords. Cheers for the support.

Jeff: Thank you. I am really conscious of using more wrist and obviously have a way to go. I'm really not comfortable with my strumming at all so I need to really try to loosen it up and use more wrist. Thanks for taking the time man I appreciate it.

Damien: I think you're right, the tougher songs make the easier ones...well....easier! I am really keen to take the advice I have received and apply it to further practice and see what I can do to improve my effort. Cheers.

Chasplaya

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:51 am

Good job Tony, with a not so easy song. I guess its now practice and more practice and maybe try to relax and enjoy yourself, it seems like you are working it and to use Neil's previous advice to Michele , let it breath man..

Guitar doesn't sound too bad either , but hey have you tried out good guitars like Cole Clarks?

tovo

Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:30 am

Hey Craig I slipped up and missed you! After I talk so much about my determination to thank people for commenting as well! Sorry buddy and as always, appreciate your support.

Chas man. I took a Cole Clark out on my last camping trip. It sure got the fire going a treat...we had a roaring blaze! Anyway, thanks for you advice and I agree, it's just some more work. Cheers mate.

suziko

Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:59 am

Tony,

I listened to this again a second time right now, and, like Michele, I think it's better than you're saying. You're hitting those individual notes nice and cleanly, and you're keeping a steady tempo throughout the song.

I agree with MJ- getting off the couch would help with playing position. It's not as comfy, and your butt gets sore after a while, but a straight-backed chair might be the way to go. Or a stool (i'm thinking of buying a stool for myself). I recently started teaching Emma to play, and I made her get off the couch and sit on a chair. You just can't have good playing position on the couch. Well, at least not for guitar!

Good job, Tony! It was nice to watch!

AcousticAl

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:54 am

Hey Tony! 

That was a great run at 'Something'!  I've worked on this song off & on for a while now as well.  Some comments & a question for you...

-I really liked your strumming.  Was constant and didn't seem to change pace on a very tough song. 

-Off the top, it sounds like you need to focus more on the 4strings of your D-chord.  Shouldn't hear any others at this time. 

-On the walk down from A- Amaj7- A7, you should only barre the 4 highest strings (D,G,B,E).  You seem to barre all 6 strings here.  The A string is played open, and you shouldnt play or hear tIhe low E string at all.  

-I personally like to hear more of the bass during the walk down (F#maj- F#maj+7-  F#maj7).  You might want to experiment and try to hit more of the top 3 strings on the first strum of each of these chords.  A question for you here- are you playing the fingering for F#maj+7 from the tab- or have you tweaked it a bit?  It sounds ok to my ear, and it looks like a simpler change that I'd like to try, but I can't tell what you're doing with the fingering there. 

-In your change from your E chord to A chord before the final verse, I couldn't hear the A chord properly.  I find Neil's 3-finger A chord works well here- your index finger stays planted on the G string for both chords, and you only slide it from the 1st to 2nd fret between chords.  Makes for a smooth change between them.   

Sorry to go on.  My Internet has been so slow that when I'm actually able to view something (pun intended) I want to make it worthwhile!  I also know that you are genuinely looking for advice, so there's mine for what it's worth.

Lastly, don't think I didn't notice you giving me the finger every time you played a B chord either! :laugh:

lueders

Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:13 am

Better late then never,

Although I'm really not that late as far as responding to a post goes...I guess that speaks to your T.G. popularity and inherent likability, Tony. I think There's a lot of promise there with this one! Already got a lot going for it. I've noodled with this one a little. If memory serves correctly, that pinky stretch from that E or E7 is a real doozy!

I think you'll get a little loosier-goosier with this as time goes on. Good Work!

jayswett

Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:27 am

Loved the video. Some odd chords from the looks and sound of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic