dtaylor learning to play Never Going Back Again acoustic guitar

dtaylor

Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:33 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

dennisg

Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Very, very nice. The fingering looks good and the notes are ringing clear. The only thing I'd suggest is to play it with a metronome, because the tempo is drifting. Otherwise, spot on.

That's a song I keep promising myself I'll learn, but other things get in the way. Watching your video reminds me what a nice song it is. I only wish the TG lesson contained the entire version.

Craig

Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:44 pm

dtaylor,
Nice job on a song that looks pretty fun to play. It's definately on my list of songs to get to...eventually! Good post, thanks for sharing.
Craig

dtaylor

Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks for the advice, a fault of mine is never practicing with a metronome. I'll do so and post again. By the way, this full version on YouTube has a link to the complete tab. That's next on the list for me.

dennisg

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:03 pm

Ahhh, yes ... that's the ticket! The link doesn't show up, so could you possibly PM it to me? Thanks in advance.

jayswett

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Very nicely done. I find that backward roll thing to be quite a challenge, but you've obviously mastered it at this point. I completely agree that it would be GREAT to be able to learn the song in its entirety. I did watch that other video, but it was tough to see what he was playing.

dtaylor

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:31 pm

Thanks Jay, this is the song that brought me to TG and I gave up on it for a long time as I didn't have basic techniques and left hand strenghth. I learned a lot else from TG in the last year and came back to it determined to get it down.
I persevered for over a week playing nothing else and that worked a treat.

Dean

jayswett

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:39 pm

I agree that at times, the best thing to do when struggling with a song is to put it away and come back in a month or so to revisit it. That strategy served you well. I've been working on this song recently and have the verse down reasonably well, but the chorus is giving me some trouble. I'll keep plugging along...

tovo

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:50 pm

Dean I thought that was terrific, really well done. Other than the minor timing issue which Dennis has covered I have nothing but praise. I just sat and enjoyed it a couple times. The guy playing the full version isn't too shabby either! Nice work, great post.

michelew

Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:52 pm

Dean,

That was great. I agree with Dennis that a metronome would help, but once you've got the timing sorted it's nailed. This is a fun and torturous song to learn. I packed it in a little while ago when my pinky couldn't hold the second barre, but I think it might be time to revisit it, especially as I now have a cut-away which might make it easier. However, you made it look easy and you were playing it fast too. Impressive.

It sounded great.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic