tovo revisiting the Beatles Something - acoustic guitar

tovo

Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:50 pm

Guys,

I must confess to getting a little down on myself with this. I've worked hard to be more accurate with my strumming but I'm just not getting the result I want. A good mate snapped me out of it and told me to stop sulking. Good advice. With that in mind:

Bob: Thanks mate for commenting. Agree a couple of muted chords.

Mark: I will definitely try to slow down a bit, let the notes sound and try to be more accurate.

Dennis: It seems my biggest problem by far is a lack of accuracy in hitting strings. I know what I am trying to do but it seems I have a lot of work to do on my strumming accuracy. Just know mate, your input is ALWAYS appreciated.

Bill: thanks go to you always.

Tammy: I'm keen to get a tune down well enough to warrant you singing on it. I'll keep trying! Thanks for the comment.

Suzi: Again the strumming accuracy is what you noticed. Much more work needed from me.

Cori: Thanks man. Enjoy your stuff and appreciate your comment.

Marc: Your advice the 1st time around was really valuable. I'm trying hard to be more accurate but not measuring up yet. More practice needed!

Andy: Thanks. More work needed but moving forward. Appreciate your comments.

jcrocket

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Tony, nice job - you've obviously have put a lot of effort into polishing this up, and it shows.

You're definitely doing a better job of strumming more from the wrist and less from the arm. On those bass notes, maybe try focusing less on hitting just that one string - see how it sounds if you hit one or two others as well. That may make it easier to keep the kind of steady strumming going that Neil so often recommends.

Jeff

buddy

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:50 pm

Tony,

Wish I had worked on this so I could give you some more technical feedback but it sound like others have covered most of that. This effort is moving you in the right direction and the new sound set-up will be fun for you to play with.

Budster

buddy

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:53 pm

Good work Tony. Everyone has offered good solid advise, so have faith that the time and effort does pay dividends. Thanks for your thoughtful, and insightful critiques. As I get a little familiar with some of the "regulars" on this forum, I have noticed that you are among the many here that take time to listen to ones progress and bring attention to ways to improve. Keep going with that beautiful song.

BigBear

Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:38 am

Tony, mon ami, it's all in the hat!! Much improved over Version 1!! Lots of hard work we can tell! A couple of thoughts:

1. You started off with a compact, focused strumming stroke but as the song went along you reverted back to a fuller, longer, harder strum and it's still killing your timing. That's because the chords and chord changes are tough.

2. Someone noted that the little bass run is throwing off your timing. This is because you are playing with a bit of a staccato attack. Each chord, or first beat in a measure, is not a separate event. They all have to flow together seemlessly. Fluidity needs to be your goal. But this is a tough song and there are many chord changes and a few challenging barres. It may just take time to let it flow.

3. I still like the idea of playing the melody note-for-note, no chords yet. Make the single note melody, smooth, relaxed and free flowing. Name each note as you play them just for grins. Only after the melody sounds almost perfect, start with some partial chords (three or four strings) that compliment and work with the melody line. Throw out those long, full chord strokes, they're killing you. This song is much closer to a fingerstyle song than it is a Campfire tune anyway.

4. I honestly think your right hand is giving you more problems than the left. Seems odd I know but I watched this video three times and kept coming back to the same problems. It will be intereting to hear what Neil has to say.

You are making great headway and it is a wise man who posts different versions as you have time to work on all the suggestions. I can't wait to see the next version.

Take care mate! :cheer:

tovo

Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:05 am

Jeff: Thanks, I'll give your advice on the bass notes a try.

Budster: Cheers for the comment mate.

Wally: Very kind of you to say. For my part I'm very glad to see you participating in the forum.

Bear: As always, thanks for the detailed feedback. I will continue to work taking all advice into account, but will also be hoping for a review at some point in future. Right now I have a lot of good advice, and may need to break it down more and just focus on one weakness at a time (for example my tendency to use too much arm and not enough wrist, or be less accurate than is needed on which strings I am hitting). Hey, nobody said it was easy right? Thanks buddy.

Chasplaya

Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:23 am

What a difference a hat makes!! A lot has been said so far therefore I'll restrict my comments to something I have no personal experience of at all lol. I think your mic may be too far from your guitar and pointing at the wrong part of your guitar. I know this how? Cos I have very recently been researching this very topic as I have not been happy with my recorded sound. Anyway here is one of the better links I have found which gives some detailed explanation of home recording with mic's.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug01/a ... tr0801.asp

Oh and PS your 'new' position looks way better.

tovo

Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:03 am

Chas thanks for the article on positioning the microphone, very interesting and useful. I will try putting it at the point where the neck joins the body and getting it nice and close and see how that goes. Cheers mate.

michelew

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:31 am

It's obvious that you've been working on it Tony. Nice progress. I like Bear's suggestion of varying the length of your strumming. Even when you have a chord that has 6-playable strings you could just focus on a few strings to vary it a little.

You look more relaxed. But, I'm not so sure that you're having fun. Camera stress perhaps.

I am super impressed with your barre chord mastery. I'm still practicing them.

Your sound and set up is good. And I think the strap was a great idea. I need to get another one myself as L..... is slipping.

I love watching your song progress.

Have you played it for your sister yet?

Keep playing and keep them coming.

Michele

willem

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:32 am

Tony, first of all i add you to my favorite button,, i love this thread,,its all about progress and you improved very well,its a though song,,maybe and i'm not sure you can give the angle of your plectrum also a look,,,and man that big bear can say the things so great,,is'nt he? I hope that your upload and comment from our members can help me to,,so i look forward to your next upload on this song,,thanks for sharing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic