jcrocket City of New Orleans guitar lesson review upload

jcrocket

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:38 am

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

jcrocket

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:41 am

My attempt at the classic American campfire song.

Thanks
Jeff

lueders

Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:02 am

Now, that one I know! ("The train pulls out of Kankakee..." that's right up the road from me.) Always loved this song. It was real treat hearing you do it too. It's a classic American campfire tune in my book.

P.S. I am envious of your singing ability.

jayswett

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:13 am

As much as I love this song, I'm hoping the first Arlo Guthrie song that makes the Target Program will be Alice's Restaurant. Nevertheless, this would be a great addition as well. You did a nice job with it and your vocal range seems to suit it nicely.

Lavallee

Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Jeff, that is real classic. I like that you have chosen to do a quiet version, low voice and gentle strumming.

Marc

dekotaj

Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:42 am

BRAVO!!Jeff,

Yes a real classic.I to enjoy playing this one around the camp fire.And just for fun,after letting the G-chord ring on the outtro.I grab a D-chord slide it up one fret real fast trying to simulate a train whistle.Doing that three time then back to the G-chord.The ones not to far gone you can usually get a smile out of.LOL.

Kevin

MarkM

Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:08 pm

Jeff,

Another fantastic song choice. This song has been on my to do list for a long time now. You did an awesome job!!! Really like your video's. I couldn't really see all of your right hand as the camera cut it off. You may want to pan out a bit next time. Thanks for sharing!!!!

MarkM

jcrocket

Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks guys, really appreciate all of the comments.

Cori - being that close to that train line, ever considered taking that ride to New Orleans? My only train experience was a trip from Windsor, Ontario to Toronto and back, and it was a real treat.

Jay - can’t argue with the choice of Alice’s Restaurant, definitely another classic.

Marc - thanks, the bittersweet theme of the song really demands a low-key approach.

Kevin - that’s a great idea, I’m going to try that for sure - I love that kind of stuff.

Mark - you’re right, and it’s the second time I’ve accidentally done that. Both were when I had to have the lyrics up on my screen because I kept messing up. Next time, I’ll either pan out, pan down, or try connecting a second monitor to put the lyrics up on.

Thanks
Jeff

BobR

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Jeff,

I enjoyed that. I've tried it myself but you've got the voice to go with it.

Great job.

Bob

snipe

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:55 pm

you know I really luv this. I was singing along and diginit!
kary on sir!
Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic