webostick learning to play Wild World acoustic guitar

willem

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:40 pm

This is still a long way away from being ready for prime time. I am trying to sing and play and listen to the metronome and read and remember the lyrics. And I am trying to get the recording gear to work. But here goes.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

tovo

Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:58 pm

Hey Wally. A great work in progress mate. A favorite of mine and I'm glad to see it posted. Kudos for the playing and singing, not an easy task for us mere mortals eh! Overall, I just think it needs to flow more, it's a little "choppy" at the moment, but that is definitely just more repetition. I haven't had a real close look at the lesson, but on some occasions the 1st run just didn't sound correct to my ears. It seemed too long? I could be right off the mark but perhaps check it against the recording.

To get really pedantic, the lyric is "it's hard to get by just upon a smile" rather than "it's hard to get by upon just a smile". No big deal but I think it is easier to sing the 1st way.

As I said, a great work in progress. Looking forward to the next installment. I often need 3 or 4 myself! Thanks for the look.

buddy

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi wally,

That is coming along very well. The rifts sound really good as well. The vocals seem a little low for your voice, you might try using a capo to move it up a step or to so you can bring out the emotion in your voice.

Keep them coming, I am really enjoying all the videos.

Bud

Lavallee

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Good work Wally, it is well on its way.Any singer is a great singer to me. Playing and singing is such a challenge and you are doing it very well.

Marc

MarkM

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Wally,

That is comming along pretty good. I've been working on this song for the past week and it is harder than it looks. A couple things to look at are the the sections with the Em in the verse. Look at Neils lesson again and see what he shows on how to strum that Em section. Try to hit just a few strings to bring out the melody. I found his lesson helped me alot. Your fills are coming out well. That is where I've been having my issues. Good job on the singing as well. You are better than I there. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing you progress.

MarkM

jayswett

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:12 am

Very nice rendition of that song. Chord changes were crisp, and your guitar sounds great. A couple of timing issues from what I could tell, but I haven't really looked at that lesson yet. I'm still caught up with the Paul Simon lessons. You don't have much to go to make this a great option for your repertoire.

suziko

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:56 am

Nice job! This is a song I started working on after Neil's lesson, and it's been a favorite of mine for a long time.

One thing Neil suggests with the strumming is to do a palm mute on the first down, which adds a percussive quality to the song. You could give that a try.

Suzi

willem

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:20 am

Wally,Wally,great,great,i enjoyed it very much,,great song,,suggestions,,like Suzy,try to add the palm muting(first two beats) and a other is try to sing with the mike in front of your mouth,i heard when you moved aside to the mike (three times) an other sound(more in the mike),,i find you did a pretty good JOB,, i wish i was so far,,thanks..keep to good things going!!

michelew

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:24 am

Wally,

That was great especially for an early post. It will be fabulous when you've practiced fore a little while longer. Good job!

Michele

garner

Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:47 am

Wally, Keep at at the song is coming along. I am working on this song also.
I found it helps to watch and listen to Cat Stevens do this on You Tube.

Garner

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic