buddy learning DRESS REHERSAL - THUNDER ROLLS guitar lesson

buddy

Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:55 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

As you can tell from this video, I am having a lot of fun with this song. I decided to try it using a thumb pick so I could get the notes a little sharper and bring out the base notes a little more as well. This song has a really fast picking rhythm to it that makes fun to play. It took a little getting used to to play with the thumb pick and I felt like I was all thumbs at first. :laugh:

I still have some rough edges on this so please give any and all constructive feedback that you wish so as to help me move it along.

Tony, I put on the Garth brooks shirt and hat just for you so I hope you enjoy it B)

the Pub debut is only three days away and counting. I think I need a diaper !!

Budster

tovo

Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:07 pm

No doubt mate you will knock them dead in the pub. Timing is critical, if you do this number early in the night you will get an enthusiastic response. If you do it just before closing you will get offers of recording contracts and perhaps offers of a more personal nature!

If you need me to fly over and make the thunder and lightning sounds, send money.

In case it didn't come through in all my smart-alec comments...I like it!

wiley

Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:37 pm

Buddy,

NERVES!! I give you a lot of nerve for trying Garth, too well known!

As for the other nerves, the ones you are feeling, well...

In my opinion, you're going too fast, the studio version, without the forth chorus, is around 3:49. Of course, there is a lot more 'embellishment' in the studio version, a lot more instruments. Different doing it solo, hard to put all that stuff in there. And, of course, those pesky nerves get in the way!

Is that a 20x or a 50x on your noggin?

Oh yea, Garth is from Oklahoma, not Texas!

Break a Leg cowpoke!

lueders

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:53 pm

In my opinion it sounds much better with the thumb pick. It evens out your arpeggiated notes quite a bit I think. It also gives you so much more bite on the base notes. Good luck @ the pub!

Lavallee

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:01 pm

You are getting way more comfortable with the song, still a bit of speed up every now and then but it does not matter that much. Nice suit too.

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Buddy, I agree that the thumbpick does add clarity and some drama to the melody. Since your previous version was fingerpicked, I'd be curious as to why you preferred thumbpicking over flatpicking this time around.

Your singing is quite well done, but am I right in observing that you were singing a touch lower in spots of the chorus in the previous version? I think that slight drop in tone gave a bit more flavor and "gravitas" to the previous version.

You've got this in really nice shape, anyway you look at it.
You sure won't need to wear plastic shorts :)
Lotsa luck!

Pierre

buddy

Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:23 pm

Tony,

As I said in the PM I sent you, you have a great sense of humor and wit.

Wiley, Didn't mean to insult you by implying that Garth the Okey was from Texas :-). It is 50x that my wife got me about 15 years ago.

Lueders, Thanks for the feedback on the thumbpick, I am leaning towards using it as I like the sound better as well.

Marc, Glad you like the shirt.

Pierre, I went with the thumb pick mostly because I always wanted to learn to use one and it is easier to play the melody with my other fingers underneath the alternative notes that I hit with the thumb pick. I will go back and check the other version to see what you meant on the lower notes in the chorus. thanks for the tips and the encouragement.

Bud

willem

Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:28 am

Bud,I did some research and its certainly a fast fingerpickin and you did great,,shirt,hat,pants,,when you have your cowby/boots on be a were of you can't run fast to rip of all the girly fans after your performance,i'm sure you score sukses and much respect how you made it your own,,

ps I'm envious on your Bb grip..

jayswett

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:06 am

Definitely better with the thumb pick. Any chance you will be recording your live performance at the pub? That would be a TG first, I believe.

michelew

Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:43 am

Knock 'em dead Buddy. You sound ready to me.

Good job on learning the thumb pick. They feel so strange.

I second Jay's suggestion.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic