tvarga learning On The Horizon guitar lesson

tvarga

Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:34 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

I've been really motivated to learn this beautiful song that Neil wrote. I think I've got it down pretty well although I admit that I'm not playing the 2nd measure correctly. I just can't do the pull-off with my pinky because the callouses are too creased by the strings making it hard to do it predictably. I do plan to work on it though.

Unfortunately, my 'stage fright', or performing in front of the camera isn't improving. I get stressed, my fingers get stiff and I end up making mistakes all over the place. After doing a few dozen takes, this is the best I could do. Hopefully the mistakes won't be too detracting. :)

-Tom

jim56

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi Tom

Gotta hand it to ya, you picked a very challenging lesson. It's rated a level 8 I believe. I gave it a go but the 2nd measure was giving me fits. Bit more practice and you'll have it. Thanks for the look. Jim

Craig

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:02 pm

Tom,
Nice job on a very tough song. It sounds like you are getting it down pretty good. The stage fright still gets me too! Let me know when you find a remedy! Thanks for sharing. Keep up the great work.
Craig

willem

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Tom,i love this instrumental so much,on the moment i put it away,,you are very much on your way,i wish i was,,then i put a candle on my balcony and played it all night,looking at the horizon,,you did it justice,..

tovo

Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:18 pm

Great work Tom. It's pretty good for sure and it's only going to get smoother and more flowing as you become more familiar. Some big stretches in there! Well done.

Lavallee

Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Very nice , you are certainly a quick learner as this beautiful song has not been available for a long time and still you are playing it quite well. I think that the stress you are referring would probably be reduced by doing some hand exercises to remove the tension in the fingers(easier said than done, I know). Maybe someone has a suggestion on these that could benefit to everybody (in another thread).

Really enjoyed your post

Marc

BobR

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 pm

Tom,

Wow that looks extremely difficult. I think you did a really fine job. Your finger stretch is great.

Bob

neverfoundthetime

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:57 am

Nice job indeed Tom! That is sounding really good. We all know what it's like when the camera is running ... so no worries on that.

jayswett

Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:30 am

Your abilities as a guitarist are demonstrated well with this difficult piece. I aspire to your level of playing and hope to be there in a decade or so. I'm sure Neil will be pleased with your performance. I can't add anything helpful from a technical standpoint, but I will say that I enjoyed watching you play that.

dekotaj

Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:39 am

Bravo!!Sir,

Just a beautiful song.Good job with it.

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic