tvarga learning On The Horizon guitar lesson

mark

Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi Tom

I am learning this song as well, so I know how difficult it is.
It's probably camera nerves, but I think you are playing it too fast, for how well you know the song.
I think you would benefit from slowing it right down, probably to half that pace and play every note very deliberately and get the notes to sustain so that the melody really stands out.

Chasplaya

Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Good on ya mate for tackling this piece.

I would suggest run the camera every time you play so it becomes just another part of the furniture, even if its never played back just overwritten each time, if you did play back for your exclusive use you can better self critique then.

I haven't attempted this yet so the only suggestion would be to agree with Mark who said slow down.

Anyway its always good to hear your playing, have you ever attempted one of the easy songs on this site??? :laugh:

AndyT

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:22 pm

They say the camera adds 20 pounds. I say it also adds 20% more mistakes. Its just a figment of modern technology. Very nice. I'm looking forward to Neil's comments.

Catman

Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:52 pm

That's a very good start on a very difficult piece!

Hydroman52

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:34 am

Tom,

Good job on a tough song. Lots of changes and lots to remember.

tvarga

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Hey Mark,

You really got me thinking about your suggestion to 'play every note very deliberately and to get the notes to sustain so that the melody really stands out'

I think that hit the nail on the head with what I've been doing wrong and struggling with. I've been focusing so much on trying not to make mistakes (and stressing out over it) that I've lost sight on the fact that how it sounds is just as important ... if not more than how few mistakes I make.

I went back to the song, slowed it down a bit and really focused on trying to sustain every note, where required, as long as possible. I think that really makes a difference! Given how really hard some of the crazy fingering is on this song, really thinking about the 'accuracy' of my left hand fingering actually seems to help me focus my wandering, old brain to make the notes sound clearer and sustain correctly and all possibly with fewer mistakes to boot! Well, we'll see about that. :)

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. It's really what has motivated me over the last year to attempt songs that I never would've tried or have been able to play a year ago.

RicksPick

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:36 pm

Tom "Your the Man"

Wow Tom that was awesome congrats on getting through it
A few fluffs but still heck of a tune to play,
that's just time not lack of talent
Well done

RicksPick

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic