lueders learning to play The Weight acoustic guitar

lueders

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:40 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

lueders

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:05 pm

I apologize in advance for the crummy vocals!(especially painful on several of the choruses) However, I thought I had better get to posting a Target song. I've always loved this tune and this song is the hook that I first bit on to get into T.G. in the first place...so I thought I would butcher it, & torture anyone kindly enough to listen...

tovo

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Hey Cori. Kudos on the singing effort mate, not an easy one I would say.

I thought the vocals drowned out the accompaniment a bit. Can I ask out of interest what thickness of pick you are using?

I felt it would benefit from being a a fair bit slower with some emphasis on certain beats (probably the 1st). I've had that particular advice a few times and it certainly serves to make the tune more recognisable and interesting.

I love the music of the Band and this song is probably the one I know best. Cripple Creek is cool as well.

Thanks for the look mate, keep them coming. I hope you get some more useful advice than mine as well. I would like to see another installment on this one at some point.

Chasplaya

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:29 am

Hi Cori, Good on ya for singing along; However, I kinda agree with Tony the vocals drowned out your playing in places. The main thing I reckon is more attention to the descending Bass lines, separate out the bass notes for each of the chords so they are more pronounced.

For a first (?) effort Good on ya mate.

willem

Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 am

Cori,,one of my fave's,,i gonna use your vid for the singin,realy,,i think you must over think a nice setup(like bud(dy)(ster),,for me you did just great..

ps SETUP..a mike for guitar and one for the singin,,

RicksPick

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:31 am

Cori well done
Very impressed
Sounded great

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:19 am

Well done Cori! I thought your timing, strumming and chord fingering was very smooth. Slightly slowed down, it would be even better but we all know what it's like when the camera rolls. Maybe use a separate mic for your guitar to pull the volume up against the vocals.. Thanks for posting!

cosmicmechanic

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:34 am

Hi Cori, I also got into this tune in cottage country a few weeks ago and it was a load of fun. My daughter's boyfriend is a pro and had brought his guitar along (I had mine, too). He hit the baseline progression smooth as silk, which is the clincher for making this tune credible (as Chas has said). Add to that some hamming it up singing, and playing "The Weight" makes for some great times ... well worth the effort !

Thanks for sharing this, it felt like I was back on vacation :)

Pierre

Lavallee

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:33 pm

Hi Cori, always like your videos. I agree with Tony that balancing the guitar sound level to the voice would be better. There is no problem with the strumming.

Marc

jayswett

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:45 am

You are an experienced player and it shows with this video. The limitation is your recording setup, I think. It looks like you are in fact hitting the base notes, but for some reason they are not picked up in the recording. Treble notes come out OK, but the bass notes are lacking.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic