MarkM Wild World guitar lesson review upload

pbraun

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:32 am

Mark, good to see a post from you and on this song. Tony mentioned some of the lyric changes already but I liked the singing along with it. The song is coming along fine, the runs are tough to get but it seemed as the song went along they got better.
Great job!
Pete

dekotaj

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:26 am

BRAVO!!Mark,

Great tune.Sounds really good to me.And like always enjoy watching you play your guitar.Sure glade you found time to post,Thanks.

Kevin

MarkM

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks All.

Marc - Thanks. As for the singing, I just opened my mouth and that was what came out. It was easier to sing in that key than if I was playing in open/first position chords. To be honest I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to singing.

Lueders - Thanks. That double down stroke on the bass notes with the PM took a bit of time to make sure I was getting it right "most of the time". It's tricky as you have to be aware of where your right hand is as it relates to the bass string that you want to hear. As for muscle memory, it is starting to click for me on this song. Hopefully I can do this song justice in a few more weeks.

Tony - Thank you. I agree with the phrasing. That is always the trick when singing after you record the playing. I didn't really practice the song by singing along with Cat on the original so I was just really going by memory on this. I'll have to go back and listen a few more times on how he did it and then incorporate it with my playing when that gets a bit better.

Rickspick - Thanks. Singing more relaxed huh? Well I just let it fly on this one and wasn't trying to sound like Cat or anyone else. What you got was just a rush attempt by me to put some words to the song. Maybe I should do this more often and not try to sound like anyone in particular.

Willem - Thank you. Yes the runs are a bit more complicated that I really thought they would be. It's not like they are hard notes to hit or a difficult hand position. I think its just trying to fit the whole run in the short amount of space that is alloted to it before getting back to the next round of bass notes. More practice on my part is needed.

Pierre - Thank you. I just tried to find what was most natural for my voice and then put the capo where it needed to be. Still not sure if I got either part right. That last part that you mentioned I was trying to recall how it was originally sung and I thought I remembered Cat stressing that line a bit more. Looks like when I tried to do it I elevated the notes too much.

Jay - Thank you. Well, although I've been busy I still have been working on a bit of fingerpicking. I'm just not comfortable with putting anyting on here yet. I need to get through a whole song first on that one. As for the recording its just a USB mic going into audacity. I'll PM you later today about trying to get together soon.

Al - Thanks. The PM is still a work in progress. It's not as difficult as it is on Neil Young's Old Man but a different. I probably got it right about 65% of the time on this go around. As for the Capo on the 1st fret, it is what seemed to match what I naturally tried to sing. I'll have to play around with this a bit more to determine what is the least amount of effort for my voice. I will say that singing this particular song was the easiest to do. Not that it came out good or any better than other songs but it felt like it was less stressful on my vocal chords.

Suzi - Thank you. I hear ya. My girls are going back to school tomorrow. My wife needs a break. Yup the PM is something that I found you have to think about constantly in this song. The more practice you do the more you don't have to think as hard.

Pete - Thanks!! Needs more practice.

Kevin - Thank you as well.

MarkM

BobR

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:29 am

Hi Mark,

I know it's been said but this is way better than you said. I really enjoyed it and thought you did a great job. The guitar sounds great and for your singing it is improving very nicely.

Bob

dennisg

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:50 am

This is a really impressive upload on a couple of levels: First, your strumming, as always, is just a beautiful thing to behold. You just seem to hit precisely the right (and the right amount of) strings in order to get the perfect sound out of your guitar; and second, I've never heard your singing this polished. Yeah, the phrasing is a little off-kilter in a few places, as Tony noted, but that happens to all of us at the beginning of the learning curve of a new song. What I really noticed is your ability to stay on key for virtually all of the song. That hasn't always been the case in the past, but I have seen you make steady progress with each of your vocal uploads.

Vocal-wise, I'd probably lose the capo on this song. As I listen to where your voice seems naturally comfortable, raising the key seems to take you further away from that point.

MarkM

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Bob - Thank you. I still owe you a call to try and get together. I may have some time next week. I'll PM you soon.

Dennis - Thank you!! For me it's all about experimenting with the right pick to get the right tone and then.... well...... practice to hit the right string or strings. I'm finally starting to have my hand know where all the strings are, for the most part, without having to think about it too much. Its really a matter about learing it song to song. Just because I may be able to do it on this song or learn a bass run it doesn't transfer to the next song. Oh it is easier everytime I learn a new song but there is still that point of adjustment in incorporating it into a new song. If that makes any sense? I'll have to listen and practice singing along to Cat to get that part down. I'll try it without the capo and see how that goes.

MarkM

michelew

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:48 pm

Well I'm late to the party and everything has been said.

It's already sounding really good and will be awesome when you address the little issues that you're already working on. Your playing really is a beautiful thing and the sound you're getting is gorgeous. I have to agree that your singing is getting better every time. I assume its because you're getting more experience and more comfortable. Keep it coming.

Beautiful work.

Michele

jayswett

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi Mark,

I got some good ideas from watching and listening to you play. Great job. Some of your phasing is a little different, but I think it makes it truly your own interpretation. Thanks for your comments and advise as I work this song also.

haoli25

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:43 pm

Mark, I'm late to the party too. I came in the same car with Michele :) ....damn, she drives slow!

Great job with 'Wild World'. This song is perfect for you. Your voice and your playing were right on the money. As others have said, it is always a pleasure to watch you play. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

jcrocket

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Mark -

Even later to the party (what, the beer's gone?!?) Seriously, enjoyed watching this. As others have said, the guitar work is solid, and you've got the perfect vocal range for this song. The minor timing issues will fade with practice.

Nice job.

Jeff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic