MarkM Wild World guitar lesson review upload

MarkM

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:04 pm

It's been a little while since I've posted anything that I've been working on. The last month or so has been pretty busy and looks to continue that trend over the next month. Less and less time to work on new stuff. With that being said, when I came back from our family vacation I saw that Neil put a lesson up on this song. I was so pleased. I remember this song as a kid riding around in the back seat of my parents 1976 Olds Toronado. Great stuff. Cat Stevens is one of my all time favorite singer/song writers. This lesson was indeed a treat. I wish I could say the same for my performance. Originally I was just messing around with the guitar part and had the camera on to show what I was doing with my hands. It's not that good and still needs a great deal of work. A bit too slow and many notes are missed. I'm having trouble with hitting those runs consistantly. I had used the capo on the first fret because when I was trying to sing along (more humming actually)this seemed to fit better. Well after listening to the guitar part only, it really couldn't stand on its own so I added the vocals afterwards. Although it didn't improve this too much it does break up the playing a bit. I'll try and clean this up and put up a wide camera shot with me singing and playing together in the next couple of weeks. I'm about 60% there. Hopefully it won't take too much longer. As always I look forward to any comments, suggestions or tips. Thanks for watching.

MarkM

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

Lavallee

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:56 pm

Hey Mark, it sounds much better than stated, some work still need to be done but it is almost there. Your singing is striding, you seem to go a notch higher than before.

Good work

Marc

lueders

Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:43 pm

Mark, I am going to be unoriginal and agree with Marc, (with a"C") that this performance was way better than advertised. I am impressed with your ability to get that nice (consistent) percussive thump. (That can be kinda tricky to get down I think.)

Once you log in a few more hours on this thing...I think you're going to quickly reach that place where unconscious timing and muscle memory intersect. (I'm just speaking about a couple of those scale runs, I thought the rest sounded pretty solid.)

tovo

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:21 am

Hey Mark. I'm with you Buddy, I love this tune and it's on my ever-increasing list. I think the playing is not far off. Your strumming is something I admire and aim to replicate, no big issues there I think. The bass sounds consistent and unrushed. The runs are just a matter of more practice I think.

With the sing along, I think you just didn't have the phrasing correct. You were pausing at the wrong places and as a result struggling to fit the lyric in, sometimes being really rushed with it. I'm sure you are well aware that it's not quite right yet but hey, I also think you can handle me actually saying it...or I wouldn't say it! Note that I'm not commenting on your voice, if you could get the phrasing down I think it would sound quite good, so I'm sure not criticizing your sound. I think it sounded a little strained in parts, but that had more to do with timing and phrasing than anything.

All that said, kudos for pushing the envelope.

RicksPick

Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:22 am

Mark

Bravo

Man you guys re making leaps of progress while Ive been away
Your singing sounds more relaxed IMHO
The video for me stuck at 1:08
But enough to be impressed

RicksPick

willem

Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:57 am

Great work Mark,,i work also on this song its a great song to add to the repetoir,,i know the riffs looks simple but the speed makes it difficult but you get it done,all of them,,i would suggest you stay on the speed you have on the moment and that devolops in time out its self,,nice job on the singin to,about the fraseing of the lyrics,i could not say(the vid stops at 1.08)much, to that time your where just on it.

cosmicmechanic

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:43 am

Hi Mark, I agree with what has been said previously.
I just want to insist that the tone of your voice is perfect for this song most of the time that your voice is relaxed. It seems to tense up on some "...but if you want to leave" parts, and elsewhere when the phrasing needs correction.

But this is a very pleasant listen, will be even more enjoyable in the near future.

Pierre

jayswett

Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:35 am

Double negatives aside, it handn't gone un-noticed that you hadn't posted a video in a while. I figured you were working on some fingerpicking delight, but this is even better. The sound you get out of that guitar is great, and as I've told you before, I want to get over to Goffstown to play some songs and see your recording setup. The singing needs some work in terms of timing as Tony suggested, but with a little more work, this will be a perfect song for your repetoire.

AcousticAl

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:09 am

Loved it.

As always, your stumming is so even and smooth. The runs are almost there as well.
Have you tried any of the palm muting on the bass notes that Neil talked about in the lesson? I'd like to see you take a run at that as well.

Re. the singing- that's really coming along too! But it does seem a bit high during the chorus. I notice that you capo the first fret. Would it be easier for you without the capo?

suziko

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:29 am

Hey Mark! I, like others, had noticed that you hadn't posted in a while, so it's nice to see this! I worked on this song for about 5 minutes after Neil posted the lesson and am hoping to get back to it once my daughter's back in school (tomorrow!), but I found that first percussive, muted downstroke to be tougher than I expected it would be. However, yours sounds great! As is often the case, I'll be looking at your video as an example of how to do something right.

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic