lueders The Weight (Take 2) guitar lesson review upload

buddy

Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:23 pm

Cori,

Can't add much to what was said on the technical side. This take was a big step in the right direction so keep up the hard work. I agree that the intro was great on this as well, smooth and relaxed .

Bud

haoli25

Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:32 pm

Bravo Cori. That was very cool. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

jcrocket

Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Hey Cori -

Just got a chance to watch both takes - you're making some nice strides with this song. Slow down that run after the chorus and you're there.

Jeff

rapsidy

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:31 am

Hi Cori

watched both versions, i think you play great i think u have a good voice! the hard part is training it, which i am presuming is like the guitar takes plenty of pracitce and the more its practtice the better it gets. It would be nice to have a friend who said your just doing this wrong, try this, then u could practice it, unfortunately unlike guitar there doesnt appear to be much help for the singing, apart from paying for lessons.(its also hard to get your point across on here without writing a big essay, hope u get what i mean). I need this myself and recording it helps so u can listen to yourself and work on the parts u dont like, I am no singer but enjoy doing it and want to improve, I like how you give it ago and hope u continue to practice even through the critism (wife), as its all pretty subjective, look at bob dylan, you wouldnt rate him as the greatest singer, but he has legendary status, i only could listen to about 5 of his songs, but others love him sorry Bob lol

Really enjoyed it, keep perservering

Brad

lueders

Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:25 pm

rapsidy wrote:
Hi Cori

watched both versions, i think you play great i think u have a good voice! the hard part is training it, which i am presuming is like the guitar takes plenty of pracitce and the more its practtice the better it gets. It would be nice to have a friend who said your just doing this wrong, try this, then u could practice it, unfortunately unlike guitar there doesnt appear to be much help for the singing, apart from paying for lessons.(its also hard to get your point across on here without writing a big essay, hope u get what i mean). I need this myself and recording it helps so u can listen to yourself and work on the parts u dont like, I am no singer but enjoy doing it and want to improve, I like how you give it ago and hope u continue to practice even through the critism (wife), as its all pretty subjective, look at bob dylan, you wouldnt rate him as the greatest singer, but he has legendary status, i only could listen to about 5 of his songs, but others love him sorry Bob lol

Really enjoyed it, keep perservering

Brad
Thanks for nice comments.
Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head, there Brad. With a guitar it is more immediate & you know when something is amiss. The notes are laid out there, you have to find 'em & pluck 'em. Yes you have to worry about timing, rhythm, & feel sure, but you know going in, if you need to go up a half step, or two whole steps from where you are...you can consistently get there. (I think a piano is the most musician friendly in that regard.) (Sadly, the voice isn't arranged like a keyboard or a fretboard.)

We had a long talk, Krista and I. And she has started to be more helpful in that regard. To be fair, she says I was critical of her guitar playing early on. (Only that she didn't practice enough!) Anyway, sorry for the window into the dynamics of our relationship. She tries to help me in regard to singing, but she just does what she does kinda naturally & has trouble enunciating what exactly I am doing wrong at a given time...you know, you're half a step too high or low here or there...that is the kind of help the untrained, non-gifted (would-be) singers desperately needs.

I agree with what you said about Dylan. (Although I don't think "Lay,Lay Lady Lay was too bad vocally.") I love Tom Waits too.(Even worse.) Some would say even, Totally Guitar favorite "Neil Young doesn't really sing that well. Johnny Cash could sing about three notes, he just sang 'em well.

suziko

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Cori- I think I missed your first version of this, but this sounds quite good. Really like how cleanly you hit those individual notes in the intro. Also really like the style of your voice for this song. Sometimes your tempo seems a little varied, but it's minor.

Thanks for posting!

Suzi

Hydroman52

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Hi Cori,

Great job on the intro and the verses. I would agree with others that you are rushing it a bit at the end of the chorus where that funky bit of harmonizing takes place and then the bass run leading into the next verse is a bit out of time and rushed, too. Last week, I was in a jam session with some friends and we played this song through a few times. The toughest part for us was exactly where you are rushing it. We may have only got it right once, and then probably by accident. At next week's session, I am going to play the YouTube video below so we can all get this right once and for all. The video is one of the best versions of this song that I have ever seen, and I get chills every time I hear it. Hope it helps, Hydroman52

[video][/video]

lueders

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
Hi Cori,

Great job on the intro and the verses. I would agree with others that you are rushing it a bit at the end of the chorus where that funky bit of harmonizing takes place and then the bass run leading into the next verse is a bit out of time and rushed, too. Last week, I was in a jam session with some friends and we played this song through a few times. The toughest part for us was exactly where you are rushing it. We may have only got it right once, and then probably by accident. At next week's session, I am going to play the YouTube video below so we can all get this right once and for all. The video is one of the best versions of this song that I have ever seen, and I get chills every time I hear it. Hope it helps, Hydroman52

[video][/video]
Yea, I had seen this before. I love Gillian Welch & David Rawlings! They really made this their own...

rapsidy

Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:12 am

Hey Cori

unlike myself you have a gift of writing the thoughts in your head or what you want to say into words. I enjoyed the "window " :) I was reading your reply and was agreeing with it all and when i wrote that about bob i was thinking the only standout song was lay lady lay lol.

Yeh when us wannabes sing you dont know what is going to come out its abit hope for the best, where as singers know their voice like a fret board and know where to aim it. I believe you can train anything to improve it, thats all im after and i like what someone said on here that if you sing out of key does not mean you cant sing your just out of key, the tricjy part is knowing what the key is.

Agree with ya on johnny and again he was very popular, N young has his own style.

The hardest thing is confidence, singing infront of people can be akin to running down a busy street naked, you become very self conscious lol.

Just keep at it and have fun, picking songs that are not too difficult is probably the best way to go. I think your issue is you can play your favourite songs, where im stuck on the beginners and the tunes arent as challenging lol.

Brad

Hydroman52

Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:42 am

Yea, I had seen this before. I love Gillian Welch & David Rawlings! They really made this their own...
One thing that you definitely have up on these guys (and girl) is the intro. They just sort of launch into the song. It works, but it's much more interesting with the intro like you did.

Hey, Cori . . . . Thanks for posting your video. It's helped me to explore this song a bit further and given me some new paths to follow with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic