webostick learning to play Dear Prudence (Travis picking) acoustic guitar

TGMatt

Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:06 pm

Learning a new picking pattern is a challenge. Travis style is something I need to finally learn correctly. I've done some three finger patterns before, but doing something with four fingers is new. This is another song I've wanted to learn forever. Here is my start.

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

willem

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:53 am

Webo,,nice to see you practice and in time you get done,,what i learned here is to watch the guitar position and the hands,,i can suggest you put the neck a litlle toward heaven,,i think you have a good pickin position,,the fret hand!!your wrist a litlle more to below and under the neck and the thumb behind the neck,,while i write this i know also you know it to.

Lavallee

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:33 am

Hi Wally, thanks for sharing your work in progress. Something you mentioned about patterns with 3 fingers. I used to do that and Neil showed how and why to play with 4 fingers, it opens new doors. If you work on transferring to 4 fingers (3 fingers in home position and the thumb for all the bass strings (most of the time), it will your best decision in your guitar playing, stay away from the 3 finger patterns. I know it is difficult to include the ring finger, but in no time you will see difference. I have mentioned it before but Hector's Giuliani exercises is ideal to learn to make this transition. Then there are many lessons from Neil where he speaks of that.

Marc

RicksPick

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:31 pm

willem wrote:
Webo,,nice to see you practice and in time you get done,,what i learned here is to watch the guitar position and the hands,,i can suggest you put the neck a litlle toward heaven,,i think you have a good pickin position,,the fret hand!!your wrist a litlle more to below and under the neck and the thumb behind the neck,,while i write this i know also you know it to.
Thanks Willem. I know I have bad hand posture (not the preferred Classical hand position). So many years of bad habits to change. I am new to Neil's teaching and all the great information in the TARGET lessons. Already, I see the advantages and efficiency of correct technique that Neil stresses. And Dear Prudence is a step in making some new "stretches" in my learning.

I won't try to defend the "baseball" grip as any way being correct, but I know I use the thumb wrapped around the neck to mute the 6th or 5th string for some chords, or to get a bass note.

Thanks for your thoughtful observations. It does raise my awareness of places to make changes in how I play.

RicksPick

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Hi Wally, thanks for sharing your work in progress. Something you mentioned about patterns with 3 fingers. I used to do that and Neil showed how and why to play with 4 fingers, it opens new doors. If you work on transferring to 4 fingers (3 fingers in home position and the thumb for all the bass strings (most of the time), it will your best decision in your guitar playing, stay away from the 3 finger patterns. I know it is difficult to include the ring finger, but in no time you will see difference. I have mentioned it before but Hector's Giuliani exercises is ideal to learn to make this transition. Then there are many lessons from Neil where he speaks of that.

Marc
Thanks Marc. This is where I usually hit a mental wall, and resist the uncomfortable process and frustration of not getting my fingers to go where they ought to go. It is usually more comfortable to just turn back to the old familiar tricks. But I am determined to finally learn some new skills, and Travis style is one place for a personal breakthrough. This whole video learning and feedback with Neil and all the TARGET students is a wonderful tool.

Yes, using all four fingers in a picking pattern is new for me, and feels like I have an alien appendage on my right picking hand.

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:45 am

After a few days of practice I am starting to get the feel of this Travis style picking in Dear Prudence. The challenge for me is to keep the steady thumb pattern (5-4-6-4) going. I don't always get to the 6th string, or I want to pinch on it rather than the 5th string. Oh well, more time with it will help.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic