suziko learning to play The Ivory Salamander acoustic guitar

Lavallee

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:09 pm

suziko wrote:
Michele- I like to use a strap when playing, but the Martin doesn't have a button strap and i haven't decided if I want one put on it yet. But when I try to play on my right leg now, especially without a strap, I feel like the guitar is slipping all over the place. It just feels so much more secure on my left leg. Still, it would be nice to be able to use my right leg. I haven't really had that experience yet with palm muting, but as someone who wears a skirt 95% of the time in summer, it does make playing in front of people a bit tricky......
Hi Suzi, until you decide to add a strap to your Martin, you could use a foot rest under your right heel so that you knee cap be a little higher than you waist line and use the guitar on the right leg like Neil is doing. He crosses his leg but it is a similar idea. I used to do that and it worked fine, but I got tired of hitting the foot rest with my little toe when walking in the room :angry: . This is for when wearing jeans or during winter in general ;)

Marc

Craig

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:41 pm

Suzi,
Sorry I'm so late to this, I've had a busy weekend. It is great to see your latest video and I like your choice of song! I couldn't offer anything that hasn't already been mentioned by the others. I thought you did a very nice job. Your hand position looks good. You are very close to having it nailed! You have improved so much in a fairly short period of time, I'm very happy for you. Thanks for sharing.
Your TG friend,
Craig

suziko

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:58 pm

Michele- playing standing up would be a great solution, if I could somehow get past the complete awkwardness with it. I tried it for a while and everything felt...wrong. But I'd like to keep trying at some point- along with sometimes playing on my right leg again.

Webostick- Thanks for your kind words. TG helped a lot with improving my hand position. And luckily I came here as a beginner, so it was easy to break bad habits.

Tony- yeah, I'm with Michele on this one. Though we could ask the Scottish contingent how they manage to play while wearing a kilt!

Marc- the footrest idea is a good one, or I might just try the crossed leg position for a while and see how it goes. Though another thing I don't like about resting it on my right leg is that I always feel like i'm balancing the guitar with my left hand.... I prefer feeling that the guitar is balanced by my body, which frees up my hands.

Craig- thanks so much. You're always so encouraging and supportive and i really appreciate that. Looking forward to a video from you soon!

Lavallee

Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:22 pm

suziko wrote:

Marc- the footrest idea is a good one, or I might just try the crossed leg position for a while and see how it goes. Though another thing I don't like about resting it on my right leg is that I always feel like i'm balancing the guitar with my left hand.... I prefer feeling that the guitar is balanced by my body, which frees up my hands.

If you put the foot rest at the proper height the guitar will be balanced.You thigh has to be just above horizontal so that the guitar rest naturally on your body. If you have to hold the fretboard with your left hand, then something wrong. I tried the leg crossing like Neil but my leg was getting numb. The drawback of the foot rest is that there is a greater chance to crouch over the guitar, but it does not seem to affect Neil who stands straight. I still prefer the strap however
Marc

suziko

Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:10 am

Thanks, Marc. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I'll let you know!

MarkM

Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:13 pm

Suzi,

My apologies. Really, really late in getting to this. I did watch this the other day but didn't have time to get back to you. Just watched it again. First off let me say that it is great to see you doing another video. Oh that room is fantastic as well. Congratulations!! You are the poster child for proper form if I have ever seen one. Great job. Your left hand is moving all over the place. I look at a song like this and say "yeah right". Good for you for tackling some of these more difficult songs. I thought that your playing was very good. I know I may be saying what has already been said by the rest of the group. I didn't look at all the comments because I have to run but wanted to get this out. Nice distration with your cat and you did great to play through it. You can tell you know this song pretty well. Now its time to just fine tune. I noticed that the highs were coming through loud and clear but the bottem end was a little soft. I'm not sure if that was what your were going for or not. If you could bring the low end up a bit that would be great. Other than that you are on your way. I'm sure with another week of practice you'll fly through this one. Please post a follow up video. I can't wait to see it.

MarkM

suziko

Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Mark,

Thanks so much. You're absolutely right about the bass notes (as a few other people mentioned). After I posted the video and listened to it, I noticed it myself, but I'd never noticed it before. I guess it's one of the many benefits of recording yourself. SO I'll start working on getting those bass notes to sound out a bit stronger.

I have no doubt that, with a little practice, you could play this song. I've been focusing on fingerpicking for the past 9 months or so, bu I'd actually really like to get back into flatpicking, and that's where I'll be watching YOUR videos for inspiration!

Again, thanks!
Suzi

ncsurfer

Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:55 pm

I very much enjoyed your guitar playing, I aspire to be as good as you someday.

suziko

Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:53 am

ncsurfer- Thank you, that's a very kind thing to say. I still feel like such a novice that it's hard for me to imagine anyone aspiring to play like me. But I appreciate the sentiment.

pbraun

Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:03 am

I thought it was great still envy finger picking, I must attempt it again. I had never heard this song until the lesson went up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic