Lavallee learning Rocky Mountain Way guitar lesson

Lavallee

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:20 pm

PLEASE NOTE: If video was recently uploaded it will not work yet. YouTube will need a little more time to get the video ready. Please check back again soon.

suziko

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Wow, Marc, I loved it. Really liked the muted strumming and the laid-back feel to your playing. I haven't watched any of the Blues lessons yet, because it just doesn't feel like something i'm ready to jump into, but I admit that watching you play this does kind of make me want to take the plunge.

Great intro, too. I like the talking intro a lot.

Lavallee

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks Suzi, it is a really fun song that you do not need to be delicate with. I am not sure if it is really a real blues song, seem to be more like a Bluesy rock but it has some of the aspects that Neil spoke about. One of challenge for me was that E chord at the beginning and through out the song (bar chord with A shape) as you have to use the pinky for the shuffle but also make a pull off. It would be nice to play the slide on it. Would be nice to have a lesson on it

Marc

suziko

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:42 pm

What you were doing with your pinky reminded me of what you do for the main riff to "Bad Moon Rising" (maybe out of a D chord? It's been a while since I've played that song). But not having watched the blues lessons, I didn't know that was called "the shuffle." Am I understanding that term correctly? I realize I should go watch the lessons- I'm being lazy!

tovo

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Très bon Marc! Really fantastic my friend. Honestly I can't find a comment to make that might help improve, you didn't seem to put a finger wrong and the tempo was just great in my opinion. I always love to see your videos you have such good posture, hand position and relaxed right hand. I think I will call you "Le Magnifique Marc"!

haoli25

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:58 pm

How cool was that? Great job, Marc. I have never tried that song before, but your performance sure makes me want to give it a shot. Thank you for posting your video.

Bill Image

lueders

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:11 pm

Alright, sweet Marc! Turns out I didn't have to wait too long to hear this one at all, now did I? Awesome! (what's on deck? Mrs. Robinson?)

I thought this was real cool...one of several things that always strike me about your playing is the rock steady rhythm (even in the more exotic 12/8) I appreciate the comment you made: "This is one you don't need to be too delicate with." I know exactly what you mean there! Sometimes you just want something meaty and satisfying (that still sounds cool) that you can really just lock in and rip into a little more. (Especially, if you're simultaneously working on a more meticulous finger-picked piece, (let's say) with multiple sections.

I like it Marc, I haven't played this one too much so I'll leave any technical comments to someone more familiar with it. I will say I was impressed with your smooth switch from that 5th position ( were you're playing that signature shuffle bit) and then you go back down the neck into that percussive stuff in first position. (I'm talking about that part where the funky "talkbox" stuff comes in over it in Walsh's version) The way you angle the pick to get that thumpy tone is something I have not yet got a handle on. You do that real well.

AndyT

Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Marc,

Really nice job of it. I think you could use a more forcefull attack on the strings on the E chord that makes the main riff. Timing was good. A bit slow but that's fine. It was steady.

Lavallee

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:46 pm

Suzi: Yes the pinky is acting similar as in Bad Moon Rising on the D chord. Here you also have to do a pull off just before going to the barred D chord. The blues lessons are really worth it since that music style is so wide. Neil explains it very well as usual. I have a head phone set (PC is near the other rooms)and I often wait until the end of the day to watch these lessons like the rest of the genius series.

Tony: Thanks Tony, obviously there is a definite improvement on the image quality from Canada to Australia :laugh:

Bill: thank you for your good comments. It is really a fun song to play, I find that the main riff when he sings (the E thumping with the A chord and the bent G note) is really cool, this is what have attracted me to the song.

Thank you Cori: The constant strumming is what Neil has been describing for ever and even if tried to do it , it did not always worked as I was improvising. I have started paying attention for the last 6 months on how the rhythm is described in the standard notation (upstroke and downstroke) and it makes it easier to understand how to attack a chord change. Mrs Robinson is a perfect example, if you do not follow the upstroke/downstroke sequence it is not possible to make it sound fluid. This is why I was asking for a lesson on that subject as it would underlined the importance of this aspect.

Andy: thanks for your comments. I agree with you that the video does not seem to emphasize the E string beating. I think it has to do with the way I get the sound for the recording. I use a small amplifier and when I am in a large room like today the sound gets cutoff quite a bit. If you notice during the intro my voice is loud but the playing sound is quite lower. That E string is muted and if you increase the volume you will hear that it is almost buzzing so I cannot go much louder. What I need is a better recording method. I will have to look at what the others are using more seriously and do something about it. I agree with the playing being a bit slow. When I was practicing I was following the video, but when I am on my own it is more difficult, need to use the metronome . Thanks for pointing this out

cosmicmechanic

Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:08 pm

Salut Marc,

There is something about the new blues lessons series ... it seems to be a way to make music theory more digestible, even appetizing :blink:

It is great to see you match up these concepts with this tune.

I only found time to listen to parts 1 to 3 of the blues lessons, so I look forward to getting into the same learning process you demonstrate here.

Thanks for sparking even more interest.

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic